.12 rigger project using wire drive and ball bearing strut

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longballlumber

Hi Guys,

I know the conversation has been beat to death, but I am looking to outfit a .12 boat with a wire drive. I am convinced the concept will work assuming that you have the right parts and it’s implemented correctly. The one thing I haven’t see is where can I get all the necessary parts; primarily a strut that will accept the necessary ball bearings and the bearings themselves.

What struts and ball bearings are you guys using for these applications? It looks like the common bearing size is going to be 3/16(ID) X 3/8(OD) X 1/8(thick) and there are a bunch to chose from. The speedmaster stuff seems to be overkill for a .12 boat. I have some of the older Ocutra bronze type struts, but there isn’t enough meat to bore out for bearings.

Maybe I am wrong in assuming that struts with bearings are being utilized “a lot”. Perhaps most of you are still using the lead strut bushings with the wire drives…? Input and thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

We have all our struts with ball bearings made custom.

Most of the stock sizes will not give you enough room to accept the bearings.

Anybody with a milling machine and a lathe should be able to make them for you.

.062" collets I get from Octura or Gary Preusse. The wires come from Jeff Wholt

Mr. Wire Drive himself.
default_smile.png
Hope to see you in Burton, MI at the first local race of the year?

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Thanks for the reply Mark.

That's what I was afraid of. I am assuming your source for ball bearing struts are not selling, only for personal consumption?

While I have the machine tools to make one (I think), I am not sure my knowledge level and/or time will support that right now.

Yes, Burton is on my radar. I haven't signed up though.

Later,

Mike,

My dad just built a new 12 with a wire drive and he used a brass bushing like we normally would and put a grease zirk in the strut. Works really good.

Hope to see you in Burton.

Dave

Use a 3/16 x 5/16 bearing, that will fit into a production strut, like Speedmaster, normally used for the 1/4 drive lines. You can carve down the strut to suit the 12 boat. You should be able to buy a stub shaft that will allow you to solder in .063 piano wire, if not, cut one from a 3/16 flex cable. Use 3 bearings in the strut, the rear one should be flanged and use tubing to keep them spaced in the strut.

mb

Use a 3/16 x 5/16 bearing, that will fit into a production strut, like Speedmaster, normally used for the 1/4 drive lines. You can carve down the strut to suit the 12 boat. You should be able to buy a stub shaft that will allow you to solder in .063 piano wire, if not, cut one from a 3/16 flex cable. Use 3 bearings in the strut, the rear one should be flanged and use tubing to keep them spaced in the strut.

mb
Good idea Mike. I will keep this in mind.

Thanks,

Mike,

My dad just built a new 12 with a wire drive and he used a brass bushing like we normally would and put a grease zirk in the strut. Works really good.

Hope to see you in Burton.

Dave

I am thinking that I may just stick with a .130 with lead teflon bushings simply because I have everything.

Check out boca bearings. 1/8 x 1/4 use speedmaster strut and bush the wire from 1/16 to the 1/8 use brass tubing for the bearing spacing and use three bearings.

Talk to Glenn Quarles as that's where I got my information. We all know he knows how to go fast.

Hi Guys,

I know the conversation has been beat to death, but I am looking to outfit a .12 boat with a wire drive. I am convinced the concept will work assuming that you have the right parts and it’s implemented correctly. The one thing I haven’t see is where can I get all the necessary parts; primarily a strut that will accept the necessary ball bearings and the bearings themselves.

What struts and ball bearings are you guys using for these applications? It looks like the common bearing size is going to be 3/16(ID) X 3/8(OD) X 1/8(thick) and there are a bunch to chose from. The speedmaster stuff seems to be overkill for a .12 boat. I have some of the older Ocutra bronze type struts, but there isn’t enough meat to bore out for bearings.

Maybe I am wrong in assuming that struts with bearings are being utilized “a lot”. Perhaps most of you are still using the lead strut bushings with the wire drives…? Input and thoughts would be appreciated.
Mike, give me a call and I can get you hooked up on everything you need...it is really much simpler that you would think!!

210 392-2271

GQ

Mike, give me a call and I can get you hooked up on everything you need...it is really much simpler that you would think!!

210 392-2271

GQ

Thanks for the conversation this evening Glenn, it was very informative and helpful!!!

One last question: the Nova 3 port that we talked about (that I bought from you awhile back) would it have a 5mm crank threads or 1/4-28? Need to know what collet to get for the .062 wire!

Thanks again for your time!

Mike,

An approach I have taken is to not use a strut at all. I just glue the brass tube to the ski, of course that assumes you have a ski. The downside is that you have no adjustability.

12 Hydro.JPG

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions guys! I truly appreciate those who are willing to share their thoughts, ideas, and expereicenes. It make the hobby much more enjoyable.

Now, if I could only get our basment remodle finished. I could get back to playing/working on boats.
default_sleep.png

Back