OPS engine tuning

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allen burns

I feel like an idiot asking, but I need help tuning an OPS 80 engine. It is in an SGX 80/90 rigger with a Andy Brown tuned pipe. I have always run Mac 84's in this boat but it has gone to the engine gods with a broken case.

I can't seem to find the needle setting for this motor and have had no luck with pipe length changes. Pipe has been set between 11 1/2" to 12" and the needle has been set from 6.5" to 8" on my flow meter. Prop is an H32 with a little over 5.3" of pitch (andy brown prop) I am running Power Master 60% fuel.

Problem is if I get it running a little fat on the bench it never comes up on the pipe. Lean it a little and it dies on launch or eats a plug (MC 9) after two laps.

Motor is stock at this point and has stock carb. (2 needles- high and low) High speed needle has been taken out and I am using a third channel.

I am waiting for the A/A 84 to come out but until then I would like to get this motor running right. Any help would be appreciated. Also the boat is running at an altitude of 1000' or less.

Thanks

Allen Burns

I think you have take out the wrong needle, You should have taken out or moved the low speed needle it to the wide open position.

Walt Barney

Last edited by a moderator:
after reading my post I stated the wrong needle. I removed the main, large needle and plugged hole. No air leaks.

Thanks for reply

Try a 5.6 - 64 mm - 1667 , H- 31 , H- 667 , H - 50 allaround the same "cup " pitch , Head clearance .014 " - .018 "

you also might try a pipe with less volume , I have an OPS 80 pipe for 40.00 if you want a go at it .

Sounds like you're asking too much of it with the cupped H32, a stock OPS 80 with small stock carb will never make the HP of a MAC 84 IMHO. :unsure:

I'd try a 1662 or something easier to get it going, long pipe (12") and sneak up on it from there. ;)

I have a 1662 that I will try. What after market carbs will fit this motor? I know very little about OPS motors. Give me a Mac or a K&B, no problem. OPS I haven't got a clue.

Allen

Try less cup like 5.00" or 4.74" and it should be

Better. An after market carb will help a lot. Try

A O.S. 9 B of you can adapt one.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

One other thing you have to remember is OPS "US" heads that is like a tub.

Compare with the MAC head and see if the volume is the same......

Set it at around 0,012".

Also long pipe (12-12,5") and small prop (std 1667 or even 1662) to start with, blown plugs will take the edge out of a motor and then the bin is the only place to put the piston/sleve.

Check the bearings, bad bearings kill plugs also.

Anders

Back