.12 mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

I'm getting a small mono in a day or so. I really liked the last one I had,.. i was a Wildthing12.

I'm thinking of doing some scaling of the boat and asking for input as far as deadrise and angles and things. Then I'm going to design up a kit and build one. Anyone interested in building some with me? I'm thinking we could work on the design together. I'll do all the cad work and send it to the laser cutter. Then we can order the parts and build them up.. The new NR.12 are running great in riggers,.. we could use them in monos too..

So,.. might as well ask for in put here.

suggestions on lenght, angles and anything else please

I'm thinking of making it so that the radio box is integrated into the hull,.. keeps it cheap..

I can't imagine the wood for the boats would be more that $40.

Could be a fun winter project...

I don't know, I've still got my Wild Thing .12 that Grimmie built for me back about 5 years ago and love it! It's a rare time that it stays home when I take the others out.

About the only mod that I would make is to set it up for the 3" motor mount from Octura or another one that is easily available.

Pre-drilled/laser cut holes for bolting in the motor mount as there isn't much room to work in there.

26-27" seems to be a good length as I've got 2 boats that at 24" are a little short not to mention tight to get everything in there properly.

Make it low profile for those running air-cooled heads..

Lots of luck in keeping the price down close to $40.00. The wood and laser time can easily add up to that much if not more. Add the cost of boxes and instructions and the price goes up but you probably already know that.

Some progress,...

There are no strakes on the bottom. I was going to add them with tri-angle stock before sealing...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some progress,...
There are no strakes on the bottom. I was going to add them with tri-angle stock before sealing...

Anyone have any suggestions?
Anthony, so far it's just me and you yakking.

I liked what Mike did for the tuned pipe to keep everything lower in the hull. The radio box has plenty of room for 2 mini-servos, a standard RX and a 4- or 5-cell RX pack. My servos are over the stuffing tube mounted on a piece of carbon fiber angle but anything else could have been used.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...cat=0&pos=5

Anthony,

Don't you want the engine to be as low as possible? I would expect the CG needs to be as low as possible...

Looks great the cad work.I really dont like that style of radiobox.Could you make it so theres the engine rails that run from the first former all the way back.Make it 4 inches wide so its more user friendly.That way could use standard radiobox and not have the stuffing tube and mounting hardware inside the radiobox.Also gives you more options on setting up the center of gravity.

Hey Mike.. that’s a good question.

It might be a question for John F..

However seems to me the CG might need to be ideal and not lowest. Im just not sure. Lower is likely best but to low and the boat might not want to stay locked into the corner. Remember for the most part Monos are the only boats that lean into the corners.

Might be a good topic for a new thread.

Grim

The CG will probably be lower in a production version as that's only CAD work above.

John did an article in his book Advanced R/C Boat Modeling on page 10 to be exact on engine mounting height in mono's and how it affects handling.

If there's one book that any R/C boater should own, it's that one.

The engine is just about as low as it will go. It looks a little high but I'll show a section through that area.

I can move the rails to 4in no problem. I wasn't super cool on the rails not going through to the transom either.. Seems to work well in the wildthing21,..

Glad to see some input,.. I'll make changes and we'll go from there..

This thing will be real easy to build... If we order a couple they might be cheaper.. so far I want one and I have 2 other people willing to get one as well..

Maybe we can find someone to make us a package deal on some hardware... It's showing the solinger hardware now.

More input please...

Looks to me like this might be an excellent class for the Dark Horse 26" Mono that Brian Buaas has the molds for...

Darin, this thread isn't about any other .12 mono hull as Anthony is working on getting a kit together.

I've currently got three .12 mono's but 2 could be sacrificed/robbed for parts if I like what I see when he gets his design done.

Unfortunately so far the IMPBA "A" mono class hasn't taken off like a few of us wished that it would have. My oldest one I built about 10 years ago and still hasn't seen a race.

Darin, this thread isn't about any other .12 mono hull as Anthony is working on getting a kit together.
Ooopss.. Sorry guys... I didn't realize you were just discussing a one hull type class... I appologize the the alternate hull suggestion...

No worries man!.. I'm just trying to do like a group design thing for a little, easy to build, inexpensive mono.

I'm sure with the experience in this group we can make a very good little mono that everyone can afford..

Ooopss.. Sorry guys... I didn't realize you were just discussing a one hull type class... I appologize the the alternate hull suggestion...

I have some drawings done and getting quoted. The radio box is still the Wildthing type. This is going make it easier to use standard size servos. The engine can be mounted lower with a drop down engine mount. This thing will build real fast,.. real easy. All parts are tabbed into the ones they mate to.

I think I'm going to build one over Christmas.. I think these will be a blast with a car .12 or a Nova .12.., 437 or 435 prop,..

Let me know when you have some (or even one) kit available. I've got a lot of .12 parts laying around.

A decent .12 will spin an X-637 nicely. A NR might be able to turn something a little bigger.

I wasn't planning on selling them actually Ron,.. When I get the quote I'm going to post it and a link to the cutter.

No mark up,.. just a way to try a good looking design for low $$ if anyone wants..

Let me know when you have some (or even one) kit available. I've got a lot of .12 parts laying around.A decent .12 will spin an X-637 nicely. A NR might be able to turn something a little bigger.

Guys,

This kit can be had for $40 plus shipping. The parts will be laser cut from aircraft grade plywood.

The vendor is [email protected] The guys name is Jesse. He's been cutting boats for me for a while.

This is the cheap route, just the wood. Just a stack of cut parts. You'll need to get the 1/8 square sticks for the sides from the LHS.

He takes paypal,.. and will ship the parts in probably a day. [email protected] is his paypal as well.

This is a very good deal...

I hope you guys build a few .

These kits are very much like the wildthing12. There were only a few made of those.. I think this hull could be put together in a night or so..

Please keep in mind that the parts SHOULD all fit great.. but I've made a mistake or two in the past. The parts will be cut directly off the model that I made and you see in the drawings.. I scaled up the sheeting parts 7%. This adds a little material for misalignment and a little to sand off to make it nice and smooth.

Maybe I'll do a build thread if anyone is interested...

Latest posts

Back