new abc props for a 21 hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Wood

Guys,

I would like some suggestions for a couple of the new abc props to try on my 21 hydro next year.

I have not seen a ton run and haven't yet looked at the pitch and dia numbers on jims sight.

thanks for your help

chris

p.s for a nova rossi motor and a ops 3280 pipe.

Little mod work on the 1716 or 1718 works great on a 21 hydro. trying to get a 1645 prop made.

Chris,

There are still a lot of choices for propellers on a 21 Hydro.

What is working well is the 1714,1716,1717, and of course the H-7 cut down.

The 1450's are still working well like the H-7's at 45mm. Cupping is best

between 3.46" and 3.75". We are trying some smaller propellers in testing

this Wednesday, I will let you know the results of the test. :)

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

Hi Chris

This weekend I've ran my 21 CMB green head LS new rigger turning 1814 and had three first and one third place. Any difficulty for launching or during mill time and top speed is in the low 70.I just reduced the trailing edge near the drivedog and ...bingo!

I would suggest to try the new ABC props and you will be surprised with performance. The novarossi running here like the 1714 and 1716!

I agree the 14 serie is good but with the same mods new ABC's performance is superior.

Gill

Gill,

Are you running the ABC's I sent you? I think the 1814 and the 1714 are some

of the better blades out of the new series. The backcut is the real trick to get rid

of the excessive trailing edge cup.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

the boat is currently running 72-74 consistant with a 75 or so, i am running 1450, but mark?? the pitch you are saying, i am way over that all ready, The thing I am currious about more than speed is how they drive in racing water, in traffic and so on..

any input...

In regards to the H7, what diameter are you guys using these props at with Novarossi's? How small is too small on the H7?

Tim.

Chris Wood said:
the boat is currently running 72-74 consistant with a 75 or so,  i am running 1450, but mark??  the  pitch you are saying, i am way over that all ready, The thing I am  currious about more than speed is how they drive in racing water, in traffic and so on..
any input...

71236[/snapback]

Chris

As I am trying to figure out which prop is going to work best for me heres what I got yesterday. No radar gun yesterday so no speeds i would count on.

ABC 1714 Good speed, Great throttle response, Great launching.

ABC H-7 "Stock" Better Speed, Ok Throttle response, Ok Launch

1450 "Slight Back Cut" Best Speed, No Throttle reponse, Had to throw to launch

Nova powered, My rigger is a little heavy, and there was a lot of boats on the pond so water was rough. I couldn't keep it from rolling in the turns with the 1450.

I will take suggestions on what to try from here

Mike

Fellas,

I have run 1450's & H-7's cupped to 3.75" and 45 mm in diameter and have run

easy low 70's ask Ron J. In testing we are trying 43 to 44 mm H-7's and we can

still run in the 70's so the diameter isn't really a big deal. What seems to be

the TRICK is the RPM of the motor,this is what SPEED is all about. The reason

we started to try smaller diameters(1714,1716,1814,1816) they all are around

43 to 45 mm. Chris, the 1814 will haul the mail with a little Barr-cut around the

hub. You will find that the boat will ride real nice in race water with the newer

ABC's. I have them all in stock if anyone wants to try something different.

Mike,you may want to take a little cup out of your 1450 if it doesn't throttle

well. A good running 21 hydro propeller should throttle well and really run

hard throughout the whole race course. Tip: If your boat is sagging in the turns

or launching hard, take a little cup out of the trailing edge or reduce the diameter

until it really turns up. :) This will get you into the 70's fellas( 43 to 45 mm with

aprox. 3.46" to 3.75" of cup) Believe it or not an H-7 reduced with 3.6" of cup

on a Nova Rossi 21 will go 80+ MPH with the right setup.

All For Now,

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark

I agree with you that the 1814 is a superb prop and yes it is the one you sent to me. this prop slightly backcut makes the boat fly with no loss of speed in turns so I could hold lane one for three times.

My new rigger weights 3,5 pounds and I could also spin the 1816 but due to extra pitch it was hard to launch so we 've decided to keep the 1814 .Even with the back cut the 1816 is kind of heavy for heat set up but I believe that with little few mods we can also get a good prop!

Thanks for the great props Mark!

Gill

Gill,

Just take a little more of the trailing edge out of it or reduce it a little bit.

If you want to leave it alone,, but still run it ,try to take a little of the cup

out of the trailing edge this is what is loading the motor at launch. Try a

deeper Barr-cut on the 1816 close to the hub you will see a difference

believe me. We have tried all kinds of cuts and diameters lately and we are

very close to THE SETUP. :D :D :D

mike,

how much pitch do you have in the 1450, and what kinda pipe and motor combo do you have.

chris

Chris Wood said:
mike,
how much pitch do you have in the 1450, and what kinda pipe and motor combo do you have.

chris

71307[/snapback]

1450 was stock (2.75), With just a little back cut, Sharpened and balanced of course. this was the first prop i ever backcut so it was slight figured i can always come back and cut more.

Novarossi, Mac quite pipe, 50% Fuel.

Keep in mind my rigger is to heavy. ( I see a new one coming soon :D )

Mike

Heartbeat said:
Chris Wood said:
mike,

chris

71307[/snapback]

1450 was stock (2.75), With just a little back cut, Sharpened and balanced of course. this was the first prop i ever backcut so it was slight figured i can always come back and cut more.

Novarossi, Mac quite pipe, 50% Fuel.

Keep in mind my rigger is to heavy. ( I see a new one coming soon :D )

Mike

71406[/snapback]

Your 1450 needs to be reduced to 46mm dia. 3.4-3.8" pitch.

Chris, Mike,and Others,

If you go down to 43mm to 45 mm you will find that the boat will corner

faster and handle much better in race water. We have tried many propellers

over the years, and I can tell you that this is THE AREA you need to be in if

you want to go fast and handle well. Just do me a favor, and try one or two

propellers, and tell me how they worked?

Have Fun Testing, :)

Mark Sholund

Hey Mark,

I got my H7 prop out last night in readiness to cut it down to 43mm, but noticed a decent amount of pitch difference from 1 blade to the other (A.R.T guage, 1/2" difference in most places I looked.) - have you seen this on the H7's or is this prop just a dud?

My boat (FF21) likes the 43mm props!! They handle the best in our choppy race water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim,

I put them on a prop Mandrel if they are out that much. I just got more in

today from Jim and they were all pretty close in pitch and cup. You may

have got an old one or a bent one. If you want, send it to me and I will take

care of it for you. :)

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Back