Tapping Delrin

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Jacuzzi

Gents whats the best way to tap delrin, and should I be using a differnt tap, any special cutting fluid etc.

It's cheese Tony. Use a new/sharp tap and you will be fine. Just a bit dull may make screws 'tighter' to keep them in place. Gun tap is fine for through holes. May want to use spiral tap for bottoming holes. Don't need fluid with sharp, or gently used taps in this medium.

Best,

DJ

Last edited by a moderator:
And use a countersink on the end where your going to start the bolt. Just a tiny bit

Tony

Don't use a cutting tap on delron..Use a forum tap and the drill for the tap size you are using.This will give you stronger threads.

Dave Roach

I just tapped Delrin for the first time the other day and all went well. The only thing I did different was not use cutting fluid. If it starts squeaking at you, back tap out completely and clean the Delrin chips off the tap. I do this anyways with all my tapping. Takes longer, but assures a good thread.

All I use is a sharp Spiral Point tap. I also do a lot of power tapping with the mill or a drill.

Couple questions on delrin, what size screw are you using for motor mounts and best place to purchase some blocks of it?

Thanks

Was a tool maker for 18 years and working with plastic and so on.When using a forum tap you drill the hole bigger.A forum tap rolls the thread in the hole and make it a stronger thresd.There is a chart for forum taps and the drill size to use.Look up forum taps on enternet.

Dave Roach

Dave, I think the technical term is "Rolled Form" threads. Yes the tap drill size is different from cut taps. If you use a cut tap drill size for a rolled formed tap you will not have enough material for the threads and they will strip under load so if you buy Rolled form thread taps make sure you use rolled form thread tap drill sizes.

Thanks, John

I just re-read my earlier post and want to add that the tap drill size for roll formed threads is larger than the tap drill size for cut threads. We (Logghe Stamping) did a lot of roll formed threads in steel extrusions that replaced problematic weld nuts in automobile assemblies. I have no experience using roll formed threads in Delrin, but would like to know if that process is what is used in the industrial applications and do they use the same roll form taps for Delrin as we used for steel? We used "Butterfield" taps with great success on our automated tapping machines.

Thanks, John

Back