how to build a pipe questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas erb

now this is something i have been wanting to tinker with i have read about the math and the calculations but the biggest question is what tool do you use to actually form the 2 half's can any one chime in on this ?

my question is what kind of die do you use
Google "metal spinning".
default_smile.png

Small commercially produced pipes are spun. Other metals are rolled and welded in sections. Scott Bouche makes some great turned and welded aluminum pipes. I and others have made turned and brazed steel pipes. Turning is the most accurate way to make a small, one off pipe. I did a power comparison between a rolled and brazed pipe and a turned steel pipe. The turned pipe was more powerful. An experienced pipe builder can easily build a more accurate pipe than my quick attempt, but that test shows accuracy matters.

Lohring Miller

B&M pipe.JPG

While on a work trip in Calf. I stopped by Mac's pipes to see how they make them. The production was based on the day of week, by that I mean on Monday they cut raw stock, Tues. was the spin day, Wed was the polish and some QC stuff, Thurs was the package up orders, and Fri they drank beer I think!
default_smile.png
The day I stopped in was the cut day so there was not much to see really. It was cool to see 100's of pipes allover the stock room... and the owner knew what each one was for!

Paul

Back