Zipp 30" tunnel update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Rod, I need some info on the REK lower unit. #1, is it metal or composite? #2, is it sold complete w/ propshaft assy & cable? #3, who is selling them & how much $$.$$ ? Thanks.

The REK has been around for a long time...probably 20 years....It was also called the Irwin....It is K&B based with a bit of angle on the mount plate....It used K&B shafts and prop bearings......The Hyperformance K&B prop bearing fits and is bulletproof just like the O.S. prop bearing....
The water pick up has to be extended because the Hyperformance bearing is a bit longer than the K&B.....
I believe Joe at Zipp is going to try to put together a deal with REK to offer them.....Joe will have to comment on that....
As of now nobody , that I know of , is selling them..........
It is made of composite and it is tough as nails and light weight......the shaft tube is brass molded in and is a size smaller than the teflon tube in a K&B...
This gives a lot of support to the cable and the unit really retains shaft grease and it doesn't wash out.....
I would bet there is a lot of them out there still sitting in the bottom of the old K&B parts drawers......
You just have to find them.....I have easily found 4 of them for testing.......
I don't remember how much they were but . I do remember it was a very good price......

http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/psa35.html

Last edited:
Rod...
The REK looks much like the MECOA K&B torpedo drive ...i dont think MECOA is selling them currently but there listed on there home page web site.

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-06-08-04-58-18.png
    Capture+_2021-06-08-04-58-18.png
    286.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Thanks to Joe and crew for the great shipment i got today!! 2 boxes taped together came containing G30 kits. Took a look inside and can't wait to get started on them, just have to finish a couple of sponsons for Greg W

Thank you Zipp
Brad
Brad...i hope you find these kits as enjoying as I did ....keep us posted

Rod...
The REK looks much like the MECOA K&B torpedo drive ...i dont think MECOA is selling them currently but there listed on there home page web site.

MECOA has been testing the waters with this for quite a while......a couple of years I believe.......to the best of my knowledge they have yet to make a run of them for sale and it is expensive......
Torpedo Drive (mecoa.com)

I am building a G-30 for my O.S. 20. I decided to use the plastic cowling provided in the kit rather than make a cowling like I did for my P Limited G-30. In order to lower the profile of the cowling, I cut 1/2" from the front of the radio box. There's still plenty of room in the radio box for rx and battery pack. Using the cowling 1/16" cowling stiffeners as templates, I removed 3/4" from the front of the cowling and 1/4" from the back using my Dremel cutoff wheel. The chin piece is made from 1/8" plywood. Over the years, I've cut a lot of these cowling to fit my JD WOF tunnel boats.
JD

Attachments

• G 30 17.jpg
    G 30 17.jpg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 235
  • G 30 16.jpg
    G 30 16.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 233
Hello fello G30 fans....
Well today I had round #2 of testing and I must say... this boat is a joy to drive...
The last post I ran the boat with zero changes to the setup...today I did do some "tinkering" and a prop change(octura 440/3) also I installed a dynamite gps, and I was able to achieve 53mph with what I call a "not so good setup" ...with only a CG change ....but there is a lot more in this boat....im not a techno guru...but I need to make some steering linkage changes to get the lower unit where I want it...thats it for now...stay tuned...this boat will be a game changer

Hi Robert:
Hello fello G30 fans....
Well today I had round #2 of testing and I must say... this boat is a joy to drive...
The last post I ran the boat with zero changes to the setup...today I did do some "tinkering" and a prop change(octura 440/3) also I installed a dynamite gps, and I was able to achieve 53mph with what I call a "not so good setup" ...with only a CG change ....but there is a lot more in this boat....im not a techno guru...but I need to make some steering linkage changes to get the lower unit where I want it...thats it for now...stay tuned...this boat will be a game changer
I am very happy about this progress. There is a need for more boat hulls available and at an affordable price. I hope it is called to be a reference ... it would be great !!

Hey guys...well I have to report that the yellow G30 ran extremely well for its first outing..full throttle around the corners and never let off the trigger...i did start tests with a 440/3 blade then switched to a 442...best part is ...tomorrow is a club race and this will be the boat I run...i set the boat up exactly like the green boat in the picture...only change...Lawless lower...i will update after the club meet..

Hey guys...well I have to report that the yellow G30 ran extremely well for its first outing..full throttle around the corners and never let off the trigger...i did start tests with a 440/3 blade then switched to a 442...best part is ...tomorrow is a club race and this will be the boat I run...i set the boat up exactly like the green boat in the picture...only change...Lawless lower...i will update after the club meet..

Nice!

What motors have you got on there? KV mainly i mean? Cheers

Back