Zipp 30" tunnel update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi:
So just asking....why is a switch required on an electric boat....wouldnt I just unplug the battery...?
In the competitions of electric boats it is MANDATORY to carry an EXTERNAL disconnector of the battery power. This is so due to safety regulations ... when an electric boat (catamaran or outrigger) is overturned in the circuit, the personnel in charge of the rescue must have access to an EXTERNAL POWER DISCONNECTOR. I believe that this is mandatory in all electric boats of all championships ... at least, here in Europe

That was true in Australia, but not in the US. I tried a disconnect system for several years, but had issues as the currents went up. The resistance of the extra connector resulted in melted solder joints. Eight mm connectors were too hard to disconnect.

Lohring Miller

That was true in Australia, but not in the US. I tried a disconnect system for several years, but had issues as the currents went up. The resistance of the extra connector resulted in melted solder joints. Eight mm connectors were too hard to disconnect.

Lohring Miller

I personally see that as a connector type/quality and more likely solder issue (type of solder, not the quality of your soldering :) )

I use 5.5mm plugs on all my 4S boats and they are not the item that get the hottest. I really like the feature of a safety loop, But I also get why people are resistant (no pun intended ;)) to them.

Cheers
Kris

Hi:
I use 5.5mm plugs on all my 4S boats and they are not the item that get the hottest. I really like the feature of a safety loop, But I also get why people are resistant (no pun intended ;)) to them. Cheers
Kris
We also use disconnectors made with 5.5mm or 6mm bullet type connectors ... and they work very well and are very safe ...
Regarding what you say that people resist it, we in Europe (at least in Spain) have already gotten used to it being an essential security measure FOR EVERYONE !!
It was only detailed in regards to security. Of course, we have been doing it this way for many years, so we already have enormous experience in this type of disconnectors.

Maybe I've just been lucky! But I've always used Stay Bright silver bearing solder. Just figured it has silver in it, it should conduct better.
Used it for years in 1/24 scale slot cars and R/C cars. Only time it didn't work was the time I didn't think I really needed to use it. Found out real quick
I DID need it! I still use regular solder... Just NOT for anything that might might get a little warm. Figure the extra cost is worth it compared to having to do it again. Luck??

How many amps are you pulling? Below is the graph from a 2 lap record run. That isn't a particularly high current draw. See Joerg's data for real record setting current.

Lohring MillerScale Record Runs more cup.jpg

How many amps are you pulling? Below is the graph from a 2 lap record run. That isn't a particularly high current draw. See Joerg's data for real record setting current.

Lohring MillerView attachment 291114

Hey Lohring,

I wont post any more after this, as this is the G30 hull thread, but those amps are not very high compared to what I (we) have pushed through setups with safety loops. My SAW boats run loops and are doing over 300amps, OK, not for long periods of time. My EA (4S1P) mono pulls into the mid to high 150-180amps for 5 laps+ and it (the loop) gets warm, but so does everything else.

In the end, those who I know who have tried a safety loop, see the benefits for themselves (Changing props for example) and also for the rescue boat operator. I can see both side of the 'argument'.

If anyone wants to see what a safety loop looks like in a tunnel hull, I will post a picture, to get his back on track :)

Cheers
Kris

I had an opportunity to test the NAMBA P Limited G-30 this afternoon. On the first couple of runs, I had the prop depth too high. I ended up dropping it as low as the O.S. lower unit would go using the holes provided. The prop depth is now 1/8" above the bottom of the sponsons, and I will probably redrill the mounting holes to allow for a lower setting. With the lower prop C/L and pretty much neutral prop angle, the FE G-30 showed good top speed and cornered really well. I don't think is is as fast as Mark Anderson's FE G-30, but I've never had anything as fast as Mark's boats. Ride attitude can be adjusted by moving the battery pack forward/back in the center section. Will do more testing next week.
JD

Attachments

• G 30 12.jpg
    G 30 12.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 164
  • G 30 13.jpg
    G 30 13.jpg
    1,022 KB · Views: 168
Back