Zipp 30" tunnel update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark,

Although the G 30 does employ WOF construction for the sponsons, it was not designed from any of my WOF tunnel boat plans. It is a Rod Geraghty designed tunnel. On the first page of the instruction manual, Joe does give me credit for developing WOF construction for tunnel boats. And, I probably was not the first model boater to build a tunnel boat from foam. I just submitted my designs to model boat magazines.

Since I am currently assembling a Zip Kits G 30 and the designer of a bunch of JD WOF model tunnel boats, I can definitely state the G 30 is not a copy of any of my plans. However, I did design the "fugly"(thanks Mike Z) cowling that comes with the G 30 for the Dumas Boats 7.5 Hot Shot Tunnel probably something like 20 years ago.

I do appreciate your willingness to receive my plans and make them available to model boaters interested in building them.

JD

Hi JD.

I was putting my $.02 in as I was told something specific. Since I haven't purchased a G30, won't be seeing the instructions Joe supplies. Thanks for clarifying mine and possible others confusion on the design of this boat. There are 2 3.5 and 3 7.5 "fugly" cowls downstairs waiting on WOF builds that will come in the future.

20 or so years ago when the cowl was designed for a larger boat with a "taller" astatic.. it worked.. and as you all know it was the cowl of choice for the Vililan S1.. but.. major changes had to take place to make it "work" well with a small boat like the Villian. On a 30in boat its a closer fit but not by much. just lowering the cowl on the ZIP boat would have been a HUGE look change... again.. without changes.. it.. well.. looks like it has WAY to much frontal area... you know.. the "Dolly Patron" of RC tunnel boat cowls.. again. in the ends IT DOES NOT MATTER.. it would have done little good to wait....

I have a new tunnel boat design and it too.. has a somewhat Fugly cowl too...LOL... but... I use Fugly in a loving, fast and race winning way..

Grim

Last edited:
Appreciate your use of millennial verbiage grim, great to see the hobby moving into the 21st century! Lol
Definitely think the dumas cowling cut down shorter would make for a better profile until/if/when a new cowling is made.
Looking forward to sizing these up on the water soon

The 7.5 is a tick sexier then the 3.5. That long flat section in the front of the 3.5 cowl is funny looking. The 7.5 is much more gooder and even more gooder when one rakes it.. the back is still a tick narrow for steering goods and gets even narrower when one shortens it.

The front angle cut on the radio box of the Villain S1 was not for looks... it was needed to allow clearance so we could lower the front and get rid of the carp front end.

It will be good to see these boats out and in the wild. I suspect they are going to be a VERY good boat. And.. if this all plays out like all the JAE boats.. we will see many fun changes over the coming years..

Grim

Not sure where other guys are on their build. I have the center section top sheeting attached and the sponsons and center section sealed with West Systems. I apply some WS to the sheeting and then use an old credit card to wipe off the excess epoxy. Nothing unique there, lots of guys on IW use this technique. Since this will be EP, I plan to lower the radio box since the only thing in there will be the receiver.
JD

Attachments

• G 30 3.jpg
    G 30 3.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 164
Not sure where other guys are on their build. I have the center section top sheeting attached and the sponsons and center section sealed with West Systems. I apply some WS to the sheeting and then use an old credit card to wipe off the excess epoxy. Nothing unique there, lots of guys on IW use this technique. Since this will be EP, I plan to lower the radio box since the only thing in there will be the receiver.
JD
I’m almost at the same spot. Still waiting for my Lawless drive from Fred.

My production boat was built last weekend. Got servos in, tank in and engine mounted. Need to do control cables. Actual time at the work bench not glue drying time is around 3 hours. Another hour in rigging. Not painting this one. Want it in the water this weekend. Then it will get paint. Sealed with epoxy resin for now

Last edited:
Hey guys...could someone post a pic of the rear sponsons attached to the hull...please
I'm guessing the sponsons are not flat at the rear

Woohoo..the lost in the USPS mail system tunnel finally arrived yesterday....and 2.5 hrs into the build im ready to seal the center hull...and I cut the top and bottom of the sponsons....this is where the question from my last post is ....the inner and outer sponson forms...it looks like a huge amount of angle.
This is the left sponson rear....im not sure if the angle is correct...

Attachments

• 1620405977900465608931351221900.jpg
    1620405977900465608931351221900.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 16204060831072844935631689204761.jpg
    16204060831072844935631689204761.jpg
    860.2 KB · Views: 136
Back