Zipp 30" tunnel update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, this little outboard is looking really good. Is there plans for the G48 to support a Lawless G-drive with a gas 26-30?

I tested Proto #1 with electric power today. As expected it ran great. I bolted a electric power head on the O.S. lower that the nitro was on, changed prop to something more suitable (I think it is a 1715. I told Brian Buass what class and he sent a prop). The boat ran great right out of the trailer. Made no adjustments. It is ready to race the next two weekends. I ran 3 packs through it. The boat felt solid and was easy to drive. Jerry Dunlap shot a video of the maiden. Hopefully he will post it later and give his impression of the boats performance.
The G30 EP that Mark ran Saturday was very impressive. It is a NAMBA legal P Limited Tunnel. I sent the video to Geraghty hoping he could post it. I am done racing 20 nitro tunnels. P Limited Tunnel is faster.

The G30 EP that Mark ran Saturday was very impressive. It is a NAMBA legal P Limited Tunnel. I sent the video to Geraghty hoping he could post it. I am done racing 20 nitro tunnels. P Limited Tunnel is faster.

Jerry,

See what happens when you give your plans away... Oh wait, I was the middle man in all this :p🥳 Glad to see Joe making good of the plans and making kits to follow up with what YOU have done for this hobby..

Mark...

Dunny,
I can't get the video posted...I am sure it is not the videos fault , it is the dummy trying to post it😂....
Here is the solution....1] you post it......2] Or you put it on You Tube and send me a link and I will post it.....
I would love for everybody to see it.......Rod

I know this is more tailored to your everyday boater, but from a competitive standpoint, has anybody got a radar gun on one? What speeds are you guys seeing? Looking like a good hull

Thanks!

I haven't been ignoring this question I have been giving a lot of thought on how to answer it....
This boat focus was primarily to develop a good boat at a lower cost....but not with a boat with compromised design principles....
Look at the videos ....the boat is fast and stable....build one run it , torture it and wring it out.....😂😂...have some fun....

Something I have been wanting to say for a long time...Once again nothing more than "Food for your thought".....

When I first became involved with RC boating it was in 1976 in Seattle Washington.....That was when I saw my first K&B 3.5 outboard in a hobby shop window....."Fish on,I was hooked"....lol

My first 17 years in the hobby were focused on outboards and NAMBA......I met Tommy Lee in 1983 and we have been close friends ever since......then in 1981? , by accident , I discovered the stumble block and that opened up a whole new world of RC tunnel boat outboarding......When that happened turn fins came off the RC tunnel boat and turning left was no longer a guaranteed trip in the retrieve boat to pick up a dead boat...

In 1983 Bobby Tom of K&B put Tommy and I together.....I can't even remember how many boats Tommy and I built over a 2 year period that it took to develop the LeeCraft XT 460....

Then in 1993 I moved to Wisconsin and became involved with RC boat racing in IMPBA......

Now to the purpose of this diatribe...I want all RC boaters to digest these words and work to promote RC boating......

The development of the 30 inch Zipp tunnel is a result of over 47 years of getting into a retrieve boat......The Zipp 31 inch tunnel boat has been in development since Jan 2020....

I learned that the development of a "good" boat is a process that takes time , testing and patience....I [we] learned that with the LeeCraft XT460 development,the JAE hydro development and now the 30 inch Zipp tunnel development.....

I have been the point person during this 30" Zipp tunnel development just because I am retired and have the time to do it and I was not trying to make a living at the same time....

I neither want or need a "G" in front of the 30" model number of the Zipp tunnel.....I am not a genius....and....the JAE team has no financial interest in this new Zipp tunnel....We are just a group of RC boaters that have done this before....This boat could have never come to fruition without all the people that were involved in its development...I personally am just a RC boater that no longer has the physical endurance do something like this alone...

The first requirement in the development of a new boat is "DO NOT VIOLATE THE PRINCIPLES OF PHYSICS".. simple as that....
Prior to the development of the JAE over 12 years ago, David Hall made a very profound statement to me....we were trying to get a traditional 3.5 hydro to launch properly and he said "you know anytime you have to put a .005" shim under a boom tube to get a boat to launch,there is something really wrong with that boat"...I have never forgotten those words...truer words were never spoken....That was the lighting bolt moment for the inception of the JAE hydro...

Like the JAE hydro, the focus of this tunnel was to give the "newbie" an incentive to try RC boating without constantly getting into the chase boat , and a need for a monster Visa card limit...I truly believe this boat will accomplish that mission at a price point that will encourage a hobbiest to try RC boating....

Will this boat morph over time?...absolutely it will but the platform is solid....All you have to do is consider and understand the basic laws of physics and know when to apply them...I.E. Bernoulli,Coanda and Venturi....physics is just a fancy word for mother nature...and... mother nature is a function of 7th grade science and common sense....... you don't want to screw with mother nature...😂....you will lose every time......lol

Last edited:
Hi:
The boat is a Hybrid....It is very user friendly with either power plant....Nitro or FE.....
Actually there is a video I believe in the food for thought thread showing the nitro prototype being run by Mark Anderson....
Finally !! ... I thought you couldn't fit a glow engine !!
Thank you very much for this good news ... maybe, I will be a next customer ...

This boat will absolutley run well with a nitro motor. The production boat is a different animal then the first prototype, but in a good way. I run with a couple of the fastest 20 tunnels you will ever come across. This boat holds its own and came back to the dock when the others did not. I don't have radar speeds, and don't care about them. Lap times matter if you are racing. I will have a current kit boat together with nitro power very shortly. I am confident that it will run hard right off the building board.

i know that you didnt want your name on the boat rod and you say you are not a genius but we all have a huge amount of respect for you and what you have done for this sport, thank you for your efforts . john virgalla

I'll second that comment John !!!

Jerry,

See what happens when you give your plans away... Oh wait, I was the middle man in all this :p🥳 Glad to see Joe making good of the plans and making kits to follow up with what YOU have done for this hobby..

Mark...
Hi Mark,
I have always been willing to share my plans and was relieved when you agreed to take on the task of continuing to make them available. After seeing Mark Anderson’s G30 last Saturday the only thing that is similar to my JD 30 is the cowling, which is the Dumas 7.5 cowling. This is the cowling I used on my JD WOF designs. As Rod has stated, the G30 is the result of many years of designing and building record setting model tunnel boats. More than once I have incorporated an improvement Rod developed into one of my designs. Probably the most important one was the forward recovery pads, or as we nicknamed them “stumble blocks.” Since I first meet Joe at Hobart probably 7 or 8 years ago, I have had a very positive relationship with him. Our hobby needs an easy to build/value priced tunnel for both nitro and FE applications.
Personally, I am moving away from nitro and concentrating on FE.
JD

Latest posts

Back