Zip 12 rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Lauer

Supporting Member
at the Toledo swap meet I picked up a electric powered zip 12. It has a TFL intergraded mono surface drive with a
Goolrc 3660-4300 motor. I now very little about a electric boat. On this drive the motor is in the back of the boat connected to the outdrive, with the battery between the sponsion booms. To me this seems to be to much weight in the back. Any help sorting this out would help. some pictures of a typical zip electric installation would be a big help.

Gary, I agree with your thinking. But, it may surprise us. I have severa Zippkits.12 boats. All are nitro though. I do have the TFL integrated drive in an old Seaducer mono that I tried several years ago. That is a substantial amount of weight hanging off the transom. If the battery location balances out the weight for a CG location somewhere in the turn fin it should work. Zippkits riggers are not as CG sensitive like other boats.
The .12 nitro rigger is basically the same as the 26 FE. It uses the same ski and sponsons. The tub is just higher to accommodate FE battery and controlle. I did relocate the motor aft on my 26 FE last fall and it liked it. Performance was better.
like Tyler said some pictures would be Nice to see.

The tub is built up to clear the motor. it looks to me that the back should sink with all the stuff in it. I have trouble getting pics from the phone to my computer, but I will try.

That is different for sure! You can give it a try and see what happens. Is the ski still on the bottom of the hull? I do see that the turn fin has a lot of angle in it. It needs to be leveled out.

Oh Boy! That's different for sure. If there is no ski I think the single wide angled rear surface will cause all sorts of problems. Don't know if there is any hope for that setup to work correctly.

I would have to agree. You are changing all the angles of the sponson by running that setup. If you had a ski, it will put the back of the boat higher by about 1/2 to 5/8 as I recall. With it being dropped down, your adding a ton of angle in the front sponsons. Those should be around 3.5* to 4 degree from ride plain. I am guessing that your adding at least that much or more to the angle as well. I would check it in the garage, but still recovering from my surgery at the moment. So only brain power and finger typing allowed. Doctors orders. Mike need to take that out and mount the motor back towards the CG. If you email Joe at Zippkits.com he can get you all the parts you need. Motor mount, cable, stuffing box/tube brass, strut, new ski. Probably less than $75 to get it right.
Mike

Also the different angle effects the turn fin as well. You will need to have the bend in the fin to align with the ride plain of the boat. If the bottom of the fin is kicked forward it will act a lifting surface and push the sponson out of the water and upset the ride. If it is tucked back it will pull the sponson down into the water while the pad tries to keep it up. Upsetting the ride again. I use the turn on all my boats to tune the ride in. Start at zero and adjust a little at a time to see the effects. You will see more results in the corners as the boat wants to pull the fin out of the water just from G force. Tucking it under will help pull it down some. Hope this helps.
Mike

I didnt think it was right. I think I will set another boat that I have and rebuild this one right next winter. If anyone could send some pictures of a correct setup it would be a lot of help as I have no idea how to do it. thanks for all the advice.

I didnt think it was right. I think I will set another boat that I have and rebuild this one right next winter. If anyone could send some pictures of a correct setup it would be a lot of help as I have no idea how to do it. thanks for all the advice.
Like I said earlier, give Joe at zippkitts.com an email. He will get you on the right path. [email protected]
I am surprised he has not chimed in yet.
Mike

Thank you Mike for mentioning us.

It's gonna hop! You can try it. I would start flattening the drive out and the hopping should lessen. The boat is way overpowered with that motor on 4S. Fun!
The ski sets the overall AOA and helps reduce prop walk.
It should balance at the back of the turn fin, so you may be okay.
Either way, send it! You never know!
Be sure to get some video too...

Joe There isn't any ski on it plus the servo mounts on the bulkhead in front of the motor. the only weight in the front is the battery an rx. I can add the ski with no problem. I was going to use 3s. i think It might be better to change everything to a standard set up, if I can get a picture to find where everything goes.

Latest posts

Back