Wood Hull Sealing Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Jones

Supporting Member
Just looking for some opinions. What I’ve done is coat the hull with Mas Slow Setting Epoxy. No thinning. I coated, waited 10-15 min, then wiped off the excess. I let it cure and scraped with a razor blade. I then coated it again, let it cure and scraped with a razor blade and lightly hit it with some 220. I feel the hull should be fairly well sealed and it’s smooth feeling but I can look across as the daylight comes in and see where the grain isn’t filled all the way and some spots are shinier than others. In other words it’s not this pristine glassy surface. Some of the boat will get primer and paint and some will be left natural. The clear should fill any small grain that remains I would think. So you think it’s safe to call it sealed and move on or should I maybe use a spreader and spread one more coat on real thin but not scrape and lightly sand?

If this is a wood boat you want to put a coat of epoxy on the inside as well. No need to float extra epoxy in interior crevasses because it adds little strength and just makes the boat heavy. Sop up any puddles with paper towels.

The inside is sealed with epoxy and the decks are on. The engine well and radio box are sealed with epoxy. I’m prepping the outside for finishing. It’s a Blazer Backlash.

Rich,

I'd give it another coat. I use a paper towel to apply. Now that you've got it all but completely sealed, you should be able to get through it without tearing the paper towel up too bad and the epoxy should stretch a long way.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Rich,

I'd give it another coat. I use a paper towel to apply. Now that you've got it all but completely sealed, you should be able to get through it without tearing the paper towel up too bad and the epoxy should stretch a long way.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC
Yeah makes sense thanks!

I quit using Mas or West system
I use Jamestown 2 part SEALING EPOXY.
Wipe with a blue towel before it dries.
Sand and do again
I then spray PPG DCC clear. Then sss d 400-600 grit

Then spray color or another coat of clear

I also spray clear in the motor and tank area if leaving natural
You can spray PPG COLOR directly on the sealing epoxy coat and the paint will NOT lift with nitro

Attachments

• C9F11AC9-2F2E-4177-A608-4AB378377F95.jpeg
    C9F11AC9-2F2E-4177-A608-4AB378377F95.jpeg
    885.6 KB · Views: 56
  • AA0E78E3-6AEB-436F-82C2-49C59F0F9D1D.jpeg
    AA0E78E3-6AEB-436F-82C2-49C59F0F9D1D.jpeg
    637.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 1D3FFBC0-603E-4612-B693-8BB89D5E7D34.jpeg
    1D3FFBC0-603E-4612-B693-8BB89D5E7D34.jpeg
    834.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 99D34B73-E967-4C73-A386-8672984419D7.jpeg
    99D34B73-E967-4C73-A386-8672984419D7.jpeg
    709.2 KB · Views: 49
I quit using Mas or West system
I use Jamestown 2 part SEALING EPOXY.
Wipe with a blue towel before it dries.
Sand and do again
I then spray PPG DCC clear. Then sss d 400-600 grit

Then spray color or another coat of clear

I also spray clear in the motor and tank area if leaving natural
You can spray PPG COLOR directly on the sealing epoxy coat and the paint will NOT lift with nitro
Nice boats! I’ll keep your suggestion in mind for next time. Can’t really turn back at this point.

I've used 30 minute epoxy thinned with acetone
to the consistency of water and brush it on or wipe it on with a lint free rag..
It flows into the grain and flashes off...
X3 times
keep a rag handy with acetone on it to wipe off any excess before it sets up...

I've used 30 minute epoxy thinned with acetone
to the consistency of water and brush it on or wipe it on with a lint free rag..
It flows into the grain and flashes off...
X3 times
keep a rag handy with acetone on it to wipe off any excess before it sets up...
Thanks, I like hearing about all the different methods people use. I think the wiping bit really only works if you you thin it first. I tried it two times I thinned and I still felt like it wasn’t sealed all the way. Since I scraped off a lot of it, I went ahead and put on one more coat and spread it with a plastic spreader. This seemed to have left enough on to fill the grain. I think maybe some 220 or 400 and I’ll be in biz.

Back