Wiring for high voltage steering servo

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Johnson

I'm sure there's a thread on this in here somewhere but I'm unable to locate it. With the larger steering servos requiring 6 to 8.4 + volts how are they wiring that with the transmitter on gas or nitro boats where there is no speed control involved?
Is the battery pack plugged into a BEC device that splits the voltage to the receiver?
I'd like to use a 7.4v battery and power one steering servo (7.4v), one throttle servo and one mixture servo.

Last edited:
What radio/receiver are you using?

Are you using HV throttle and mixture servos?

If its Futaba and all are HV, then run it like any normal battery through the receiver.

If you have a mix of HV and normal, then it gets more complicated.

What radio/receiver are you using?

Are you using HV throttle and mixture servos?

If its Futaba and all are HV, then run it like any normal battery through the receiver.

If you have a mix of HV and normal, then it gets more complicated.
It is the Spectrum DX4C and it is a mixture of HV and normal. From what I can see it may be that a BEC device is needed so I can use the 7.4v battery for the HV servo and then take the receiver lead from the BEC to the receiver. I take the HV servo's power and ground connections direct to the 7.4v and the control wire to the receiver. The other two standard servos go to the receiver like normal. Does that sound right?

Hey Greg,

I am not 100% certain on the wiring if you have a mix. If you post the same question in the general forum you might get an answer from the other guys running bigger boats who have come across this issue

What receiver are you running with the Spectrum DX4C ? Do you have the voltage specs ?

It may be 2S compatible and just use all HV servos with 2S Lipo and everything plugged normally.

Separating voltage to steering servo is possible but not suggested IMO.

If you can't do that then maybe just run everything on LiFe 2S if the throttle and mixture are 6.0 rated they will be fine on 6.6 volt.

What steering servo is it and do you really need every last ounce inch that the servo delivers on 2S LiPo ?
Often using a short steering arm and not turning down the EPA a mile to limit rudder throw so the servo rotates fully for the little bit of rudder that you need.

Last edited:
What receiver are you running with the Spectrum DX4C ? Do you have the voltage specs ?

It may be 2S compatible and just use all HV servos with 2S Lipo and everything plugged normally.

Separating voltage to steering servo is possible but not suggested IMO.

If you can't do that then maybe just run everything on LiFe 2S if the throttle and mixture are 6.0 rated they will be fine on 6.6 volt.

What steering servo is it and do you really need every last ounce inch that the servo delivers on 2S LiPo ?
Often using a short steering arm and not turning down the EPA a mile to limit rudder throw so the servo rotates fully for the little bit of rudder that you need.
Thanks, I was able to find out that the receiver can handle 9.6v so I can go direct.

Back