Wire Drives

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ball bearings in the strut:
How many?
Sealed or open?
How do you retain them in position in the strut? Just press fit?

Doc, .010 to .025 over the wire diameter is fine.

For the ball bearings I run flanged bearings on both sides kept in place by some loctite. The bearing outer races are so thin any significant crush from a pressfit will cause the raceway to distort and bearing life will be very short. I usually run open bearings or stainless shielded bearings.

Guys, Is the ID of the bushings you use the same as the wire or how many thousands over.

Doc, I am using a 0.078" wire and an oilite bushing with a 0.104" bore. I just guessed at the bore. Testing will prove it out (or not). I made it about 1/2" long, see pic. It was machined so that it is pretty snug in the stuff tube. Being 1/2" long, it stops in the tube when it gets to the bend. I just pushed it into the tube from the engine end with a piece of flex shaft. Hoping the tight fit and the bend will keep it at about the half way point. May have to add a telescoping tube on the engine side. We will see. None of this has been tested in a 21 yet.

For my 12, I use no bushing at all and it works great. As I recall, Glenn did not use bushings in his 12 wire drives either(?) Maybe he can chime in here and enlighten us?

Attachments

• 21 bushing.JPG
    21 bushing.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Yes Bob, you are right, I don’t use any bushings in the stuffing tube on my 12 boats. But I did use one exactly in the center on my 21 boat with a wire.

You mentioned the bend in your stuffing tube...you need to be very careful with that!! The wire drives do not like bends in the stuffing tube!!! It should be a gentle curve over the full length of the tube...from motor to strut. The goal is to make the tube the same shape the wire would make if it was just out in the open. If anyone would like to hear how I do that, just give me a call. It’s easier to talk than type!

GQ

Per Glenns instructions. Grab the wire at each end and push the ends together. THis is you tubing bend. Very simple. The wire should ride in the center of the tube. Not touching. Zero drag.

Back