Who Started Crapshooter Boats?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoboat

Fellas,

Trying to clear up a discussion on who started Crapshooter Boats?

And also who has owned it along the way.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellas,
Trying to clear up a dicussion on who started Crapshooter Boats?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
This is how I remember it...Early 70's with hard wood sponson booms Detroit guys Lou Metataul(spelling?) Timmy Reese & Charlie Sweet was my fist memories of Crapshooter. I don't remember who was the owner but those guys were quite the trio during and after a day of racing! (as seen through the eyes of a 13 year old kid)

Then Marty Davis to Greg Hughey to Kerry Woodward to Stu Barr.

MG

MG,

Thanks, I just wasn't sure of the original owner.

Your H-667 is on the way.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Fellas,
Trying to clear up a dicussion on who started Crapshooter Boats?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
This is how I remember it...Early 70's with hard wood sponson booms Detroit guys Lou Metataul(spelling?) Timmy Reese & Charlie Sweet was my fist memories of Crapshooter. I don't remember who was the owner but those guys were quite the trio during and after a day of racing! (as seen through the eyes of a 13 year old kid)

Then Marty Davis to Greg Hughey to Kerry Woodward to Stu Barr.

MG
WOW! I Think you got that one nailed.

Fellas,
Trying to clear up a discussion on who started Crapshooter Boats?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mark:

Almost correct. The three people who started Precision Boat Manufacturing (Crapshooter) were Charlie Sweet, Dennis Worden and Tim Reese.

Then the business transferred to Joey Albanese and Myself from Tim Reese who had taken control of the company and produced boats for 5 years +/-.

I ran the business for 6 years during the 70's producing 600 boats per year for a three of those years.

I sold the company to Greg Huey who was an employee of mine for a few years.

Greg ran the company for about 4 years and sold the company to (Kerry Woodward) who had almost no experience with model boats at all. Can't remember his name. The Barr Brothers were silent partners of his. After a business failure, Stu Barr took control of the company and has run it since, producing a few (10-15) of the highest quality kits that have EVER been produced by anyone. Stu still produces a few kits every year with a LONG waiting list.

The list of owners of a company that has been a big part of RC Model Boat Racing...... and the winner of more US#1's that I can count.

Marty Davis

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the history lesson, Marty, only wish I had started sooner to have experienced that exciting era! And Crapshooters are STILL winning US#1's ;)

Wallster

I started Crapshooter Boats............. No wait.............. I started Bullshitting about Boats..................... Sorry..............I misunderstood the Topic..................... :huh:

I started Crapshooter Boats............. No wait.............. I started Bullshitting about Boats..................... Sorry..............I misunderstood the Topic..................... :huh:
ive seen your bulsXXter boat scott didnt have budweiser sponsons :blink: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I used to drive to Detroit on a Saturday morning and spend all day helping Tim Reese cut out wood for Crapshooter boats. Great learning experience as Tim was a great craftsman. Had a few brews along the way as well!!!

I used to drive to Detroit on a Saturday morning and spend all day helping Tim Reese cut out wood for Crapshooter boats. Great learning experience as Tim was a great craftsman. Had a few brews along the way as well!!!

Didn't know you helped too Mike, what year(s) would that have been?

I still remember your (IIRC) OPS 60 Crapshooter "Snow Job" when I was getting my feet wet with my 40 Gator in about '78...

I still remember your (IIRC) OPS 60 Crapshooter "Snow Job" when I was getting my feet wet with my 40 Gator in about '78...

Man you guys are old.

Tim K

Man you guys are old.

Tim K
I remember Kerry Woodward not a boater but he was a very good woodworker,a cabinet maker i think......The good old days BRING BACK THE INDY UNLIMITED !!!!!!!!!!! Mike

Man you guys are old.

Tim K

You just wait... :lol:

My first 60 crapshooter was "White Lightning". If I'm not mistaken, I think that was in 1974. I remember going from 10% to 40% nitro in a OPS 60. Everyone thought I was nuts.

Crapshooters wer big when I raced in Florida....

and the King of the crapshooter in south florida was a guy named Eric Swenson.....

Does anyone in south florida remember him....

very fast and good running crapshooters....

Joe

Crapshooters wer big when I raced in Florida....and the King of the crapshooter in south florida was a guy named Eric Swenson.....

Joe

I have some great memories of Eric Swenson, sure do miss those days!

Ron

Crapshooters wer big when I raced in Florida....and the King of the crapshooter in south florida was a guy named Eric Swenson.....

Joe
Eric was a factory supported guy who was very good and one of the nicest families of boating that I have known over the years. You always knew you were in for a race against Eric.

Marty Davis

Back