Who made the first production O/B Tunnel?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be surprised if they sold 900...

I wish I had kept all of the magazines I had but dang...they just pile up everywhere. I did go through them and cut out some ads of mine before I threw them away. Fun times for sure.

They seemed to come out of the woodwork back then; the Dumas Hot Shot, Midwest Klampon Kai and possibly the Hughey all came out about the same time.

I still have a Dumas Hot Shot (the glass one after the original blunt nose) that I am building now. I bought it in the early 80's. I like the sort of scale open cockpit look. But I do not like the cowl. I went through the trouble of making a plug, and molded a few cowls for the boat. The boat looks better with the new cowl and it is lighter too

The next step is to change the tunnel depth and AOA. I am making a plug for the sponson riding surface. The sponsons will have more dihedral :)

Attachments

• HS.jpg
    HS.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 258
I have a 1966 America’s Hobby Center catalog. It has Dumas boats in it but no Tunnel Hulls. Ocutra White Heat V 42”x15 1/2 “ $ 29.95. GEM Fiberglass Boat kits.

Cliff

This is my Sprint 7.5 built in 84 and invoice of the K&B 7.5.

Attachments

• IMG_3107.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 312
  • IMG_3108.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 305
  • IMG_3109.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 295
I had a Klampon Kai. I thought the Dumas Hot Shot was the first production Tunnel.

KK was after the Hot Shot

I put an out board On a JVS CLAIM JUMPER. Took to my first race in Dallas with FIRST QUARTER WAVE STUB PIPE and took 2nd.

No one had seen Quarter wave pipe on an out board. We were flying Quarter Midgets with quarter wave pipes and though it work on the outboard.

Clee Moreman helped and engineered it.

Clee’s name is on the IMPBA EXCELLENCE OF PERFORMANCE TROPHY

Couple of months later someone did an article in Flying Models on the pipe. Had pictures of our set up. The author implied he had come up with the idea.

Just some historical musings

Not to hijack thread but does any body know what brand of boat this is. it was my first one around 82/83 era. I was about 11 years old. so I don't remember what it was20200521_213457.jpg

If its "orangeish" inside it could be a prather.. hum.. I am not sure what that is.

Grim

I do not think it is a Prather. The nose and the cowl are different. Also the sponsons looked too deep to be a Prather.

I still have a Dumas Hot Shot (the glass one after the original blunt nose) that I am building now. I bought it in the early 80's. I like the sort of scale open cockpit look. But I do not like the cowl. I went through the trouble of making a plug, and molded a few cowls for the boat. The boat looks better with the new cowl and it is lighter too

The next step is to change the tunnel depth and AOA. I am making a plug for the sponson riding surface. The sponsons will have more dihedral :)
The hotshot fiberglass actually runs well with a stock k&b 3.5

Latest posts

Back