Which Gas Cat to buy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the tube n tube method...I think the issue was my fault...after digging out the original tube I did notice a void in the epoxy...

Just an update...it has been a while...the stuffing tube repair went fine...and the Voodoo Tater XX prop didnt work out...and I ran the Dasboata 2 blade prop just last week..i like it..but I need to tune the boat a little better..i purchased a GPS from Dynamite(Horizon hobby) passport GPS 2.0..many features..i need some way to record speed...the tiny Tach works like a champ...but I need to get the rpm's up more...im only turning 16300...

Attachments

• 20200520_173344.jpg
    20200520_173344.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200520_183512_01.jpg
    IMG_20200520_183512_01.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
162 posts and was wondering how the boat ran, havnt seen you on this post in a while. sounds like its running well. i tried a few props on my cat. 2 blade was the fastest but for heat racing the bob austin 6717/3 505 worked out the best for my setup. pulled hard out of the corners and didnt run out of rpms on the straight. keep us posted. happy testing

John V...
It is running well....if your interested...youtube..
Okiedoak201....thats where I post all the runs so far...i ran the boat at 3 locations since February...and I'm really liking the "gas" side of RC boats...

gas is fun, rough water is not a big issue when we have 16 pound big cats. all my gas boats are running well so i dusted off my wild thing 21 mono and was running that last weekend, built a new dragon 21 ob tunnell this ran well, i have a video of it on the ob forum

Man too bad on the tater prop. Either they didn't send you the right Tatter XX Cat prop or you just got a bum one.

No two Voodoos are ever the same. Buy 10 and 5 work good 2 suck in comparison and 3 friggin scream. But they always worked. You got some thing different as there have been many revisions to that prop also.

The proper Tater XX cat works on every Conquest regardless of power except the inline.

Bob Austin 7016-300 or a 7016-410 are also both awesome on that boat.

Thank you Daniel for the input on the tater prop.
But .... I did break into the 60mph club yesterday...im playing with the pipe and a Dasboata 2816/2 prop...and a self modded 6717/3 from Zipp....and max rpm's are in the 18000 range....also i was never a believer of the "sand the bottom of the ride surface" group...
But I got home and did it anyway with 220 grit and a t-bar sanding block...i will test again this coming weekend...if I can do a consistent 63mph....i will be totally happy....it will be training the driver at that point..until next week
Happy boating.

John and Daniel...
So several props are recommended from you guys ...6717/3 - 505.....7016- 300 and 7016 -410....im no prop wiz...but what is the last 3 numbers ...and is that a cast into the prop thing or is that done on a bench..
Thanks guys

John and Daniel...
So several props are recommended from you guys ...6717/3 - 505.....7016- 300 and 7016 -410....im no prop wiz...but what is the last 3 numbers ...and is that a cast into the prop thing or is that done on a bench..
Thanks guys
Last 3 numbers is uselly referring to the pitch...and congrats breaking 60..it sounds like it comming along now

Thanks Eddie...so pitch is referring to the blade cup or the angle the blade lays back.....or is that Rake.... hey..i miss running with you guys.....and ...maybe one day I will be able to at least keep up with you hotrods....the Cat hull class is just awesome...

the 7016 410 is the easy one. 70mm dia, 1.6 pitch ratio and the 410 is 4.1'' of pitch. i know a little bit about props but having a conversation with bob austin sometimes makes my head spin. i just call him and tell him what hull, motor, pipe and all my stuff are heat racing, have not done any saw. and i will admit bob hits it spot on every time. some guys say they cant afford a bob prop at 115$, well 500 for the hull, 700 for the motor, 250 for a good exhaust. i think bobs props are the best performance upgrade for the buck

Thanks Eddie...so pitch is referring to the blade cup or the angle the blade lays back.....or is that Rake.... hey..i miss running with you guys.....and ...maybe one day I will be able to at least keep up with you hotrods....the Cat hull class is just awesome...
Maybe soon we can get together run..i got 2 boats no motors need to rebuild so u doing better than i lol

Good morning All...
So on May 31(sunday) I went back out and played some...i tried 5 different props and all were in the 59-61 mph range...the boat is awesome...but with all the props it seems to loose speed in the corner....i will trim the rudder some and give it another shot...what I find interesting is that the amount of change that a prop will give to a boat....with just a prop change the boat can leap out of the water or bounce along....or just blow over...anyway..back to the pond and one day I will figure out a way to video this thing while I'm at the controls....

Drop the strut down just a little. My Cat would lose a lot of speed in the corners and that was my problem.

not sure what prop you have but a barr cut on a prop can help it in the corners and depends also how you drive it, if you crank the wheel really hard the cat will somewhat hook on you and drop a lot of speed, a nice linear curve without correcting the rudder will get you the best corner speeds. test, test, test

Ron...thanks for the strut advice...and John..i have several props and a couple loaner props..
I will say..driving style does have an effect on the boat....expo is turned down to have very nice bouy rounding turns..nothing sharp or aggressive...i also sanded the sponsons more on the sides to remove the water tension...the rudder has been shortened...it was the speedmaster full length rudder...sunday will be another 100 mile trip to the pond and will give it another day in the water...thanks for all the advice from everyone here...it has helped...until next time ...be safe...happy Boating

Ron...thanks for the strut advice...and John..i have several props and a couple loaner props..
I will say..driving style does have an effect on the boat....expo is turned down to have very nice bouy rounding turns..nothing sharp or aggressive...i also sanded the sponsons more on the sides to remove the water tension...the rudder has been shortened...it was the speedmaster full length rudder...sunday will be another 100 mile trip to the pond and will give it another day in the water...thanks for all the advice from everyone here...it has helped...until next time ...be safe...happy Boating

Back