What's new in 7.5 size FE equipment?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

This is a response to Greg Johnsons question in a 10 year old thread so you don't have to reread old info.
So this is what I see after 10+ years of FE experience.
P/Limited has not grown much, with 27-30 boats that are difficult to stay upright. Even small 36mm motors have a little too much instant power. Many who built them quit or went to cats monos and hydros.
Full P and Q have not taken root in any significant numbers. That said for tunnelheads there is hope as price and performance is still there.
In our early Q boats (6S) we went to 40X82 motors and found speed exceeding .45 nitros. Hulls are marginal in handling the power. The next issue is available ESC's. The old Seaking (T-180;s) 180 works well but has limits. Most of the available 200-300 water proof ESC's are large and don't fit well under limited cowl space. There are a few that work. I like 200 Castles converted with cooling tubes and then potted to waterproof. The Flier 250 is compact and of the 4 last Seaking 180's I purchase 2 cut out at speed and no one has an answer so I won't buy another.
Motors are cheaper to buy with decent quality. Back then NEU cost $200-300 and mot many other good options. Over the years I feel Leopards have improved and with SSS and TP you can buy reliable power under $200.
For tunnel racing to move forward I think there are a ton of .45 nitro hulls out there collecting dust that will stay upright and satisfy a need for speed. I have a Vision with a 40X82 low KV (1000) that I set up for 8-10 cell records. Speed so far mid 70's in two lap setup. Over 80 I feel can be done but it will destroy a few hulls in that process. Those are speeds a .45 hull cannot maintain for a 6 lap heat race.
A 3+ watt 40mm X 82 mm or longer in 6S trim for Q is a 60mph +handful and yes a few will run but they have been out there for 10 + years and the class is not growing. A few of us locally in Florida are promoting a local limited Q class (40X75mm) motor limit. Those motors pull 140-150 amps with aggressive props and speeds 55-60 using Flycolor 150's that are holding up. Boats handle well and take water the P/Limited can't think of with similar cost.
Kris Flynn maybe will chime in with how FE tunnel classes are evolving down under as a whole other than the rockets he builds.
Mic

When I was involved in development FE boats and equipment.. I learned one VERY important lesson.

The technology builds/changes faster then the rules can follow.

The chase is not the other boat racing competitors..

Grim

Last edited:
Q limited is the way to go, it’s the right speed for the size boats, it reminds me of when we had a stock 40 class down here in Florida years ago. All the boats run the same speeds so driving really comes into play.

I fully support this Q size. I believe your experience has matched the motor can size to hulls that will make racing more enjoyable. I applaud your efforts to encourage this class of racing over the years. It looks to be so obvious this is how FE classes should be made. Current P limited motor can dimensions appear to have found an agreeable size, now it’s only logical Q should follow.

This is not so much new technology as brushless motors, ESC’s, and Lipo’s have grown roots now over the years. It’s more applying the physical size factors that truly level power in each class.

This is a response to Greg Johnsons question in a 10 year old thread so you don't have to reread old info.
So this is what I see after 10+ years of FE experience.
P/Limited has not grown much, with 27-30 boats that are difficult to stay upright. Even small 36mm motors have a little too much instant power. Many who built them quit or went to cats monos and hydros.
Full P and Q have not taken root in any significant numbers. That said for tunnelheads there is hope as price and performance is still there.
In our early Q boats (6S) we went to 40X82 motors and found speed exceeding .45 nitros. Hulls are marginal in handling the power. The next issue is available ESC's. The old Seaking (T-180;s) 180 works well but has limits. Most of the available 200-300 water proof ESC's are large and don't fit well under limited cowl space. There are a few that work. I like 200 Castles converted with cooling tubes and then potted to waterproof. The Flier 250 is compact and of the 4 last Seaking 180's I purchase 2 cut out at speed and no one has an answer so I won't buy another.
Motors are cheaper to buy with decent quality. Back then NEU cost $200-300 and mot many other good options. Over the years I feel Leopards have improved and with SSS and TP you can buy reliable power under $200.
For tunnel racing to move forward I think there are a ton of .45 nitro hulls out there collecting dust that will stay upright and satisfy a need for speed. I have a Vision with a 40X82 low KV (1000) that I set up for 8-10 cell records. Speed so far mid 70's in two lap setup. Over 80 I feel can be done but it will destroy a few hulls in that process. Those are speeds a .45 hull cannot maintain for a 6 lap heat race.
A 3+ watt 40mm X 82 mm or longer in 6S trim for Q is a 60mph +handful and yes a few will run but they have been out there for 10 + years and the class is not growing. A few of us locally in Florida are promoting a local limited Q class (40X75mm) motor limit. Those motors pull 140-150 amps with aggressive props and speeds 55-60 using Flycolor 150's that are holding up. Boats handle well and take water the P/Limited can't think of with similar cost.
Kris Flynn maybe will chime in with how FE tunnel classes are evolving down under as a whole other than the rockets he builds.
Mic
For the Q class in Florida with the 40x75 motor limit. Can you make a recommendation of a motor you would use? Is the battery still 6S around 5000 and 40 - 45C?

I'm putting together a Dunlap wof tunnel 7.5 for Q limited with leopard 40 74 . What is a good prop to start with?

You can't go wrong with an M445 and M545 to start. If you want more bow lift an ABC 1816 works. Dr Props 645/3 also.
Mic

HMMMM! A .45 sized limited FE tunnel sounds kinda nice........! What are some of the hulls being used? I have a brand new K&B 7.5 lower unit laying around doing nothing........will it work for FE?? Anyone have some pics they could post?? I like the limited classes!

Last edited:
Back