What You Build When You're 80

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet little boat!
Jerry, it's all about having fun, no matter what age you are! Looks like this little guy will put a smile your face as soon as the prop hits the water !

I just hope I make it to 80,, if I do, you can bet I'll be out at the lake running something cool like your little boat!

Have fun!

That is a great looking boat Jerry. Just like all the other boats you have built. I also would like to thank you for all you've done for the hobby.
When we were running fast electrics years ago and one of your boats was running we would say , watch out if he gets out front before you know it he's Dunlaped ya.
Your boats are always awesome!!!
Michael

Over the years Jerry has come up with quite a few new classes that we have run in our district. I can say I was never a fan of most of them. I tended to not run these classes so I ended up being the CD all the time for them. 1/4 scale tunnel (35 mph kite), Stock Vegas RTR (They all looked exactly alike and hard to keep track of), 3.5 Kneeler (killed 21 outboard hydro, lack of boats when they wanted their own class). Some have come and gone. Others are still here. The 3S kneeler is one that I do like. They are pretty fast and dont handle well when turning. They only use the left turn and start buoy for their course. So makes for some fun racing trying to turn on the hairpin start buoy turn. I have been meaning to build one. Have the gear and everything. Jsut need to draw up a boat and get cutting. One of these days.
Mike

Over the years Jerry has come up with quite a few new classes that we have run in our district. I can say I was never a fan of most of them. I tended to not run these classes so I ended up being the CD all the time for them. 1/4 scale tunnel (35 mph kite), Stock Vegas RTR (They all looked exactly alike and hard to keep track of), 3.5 Kneeler (killed 21 outboard hydro, lack of boats when they wanted their own class). Some have come and gone. Others are still here. The 3S kneeler is one that I do like. They are pretty fast and dont handle well when turning. They only use the left turn and start buoy for their course. So makes for some fun racing trying to turn on the hairpin start buoy turn. I have been meaning to build one. Have the gear and everything. Jsut need to draw up a boat and get cutting. One of these days.
Mike
Don't tell 87 year old Henry Velasco that. Henry won X Hydro at the NAMBA Nationals last year over two of the best racers in the country; Doug Twaits and Chris Grim. Old Guys Rule!

Dick Tyndall

What do you build and race when you accept the fact that the racing skills you possessed at 40 have somewhat diminished at double that age? For me, it has been to build "cute" 30 mph 3S Kneelers. Here is my latest build.
JD
I have built a .20 size Dumas Drag'N Fli as an outboard in the 80's. I had a JG E20 and also a F22 on the K&B. It just would not run properly without kicking in the lower. Your OS looked to have zero angle. What is the secret to getting the kneeler to plane properly? Did you have to add a lot of weight to the nose? The Drag'N Fli probably did around 30mph at the time

Please post some running shots and videos

Thanks,
k

Greetings Jerry❗

Living in Norway and having limited funds for past time interests in the late ‘80-ies I opted for a kit. My first boat built for racing was a Dumas Lap Cat, a K&B outboard modified for an afternarked pipe and an OS carb. The radio - an old Futaba 2 channel box transmitter.
Later - due to your articles in a popular model boat magazine - I had a go at a «wof» (wood over foam).
Now - at 65 - I am still racing. Entry to the iMBRA World Championship in Poland Is forwarded - now Gas Hydro - Tec9 riggers that Wendell Barrow built.
So - following on some 15 years younger - I intend to keep it up for the years to come.

Greetings Jerry❗

Living in Norway and having limited funds for past time interests in the late ‘80-ies I opted for a kit. My first boat built for racing was a Dumas Lap Cat, a K&B outboard modified for an afternarked pipe and an OS carb. The radio - an old Futaba 2 channel box transmitter.
Later - due to your articles in a popular model boat magazine - I had a go at a «wof» (wood over foam).
Now - at 65 - I am still racing. Entry to the iMBRA World Championship in Poland Is forwarded - now Gas Hydro - Tec9 riggers that Wendell Barrow built.
So - following on some 15 years younger - I intend to keep it up for the years to come.
It is amazing to hear all the different places around the world where some of my designs have been built. They say age is just a number. Sometimes my back tells me, "Jeez, you're getting old."

Latest posts

Back