What weight Fiberglass cloth is used in building a hull?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex McCollister

Generally what weight fiberglass cloth is used in building Rc boat hulls? Is it 7.5 or 10 oz cloth? Would like to lay up a hull with one layer of cloth. Thanks

I use a 1, 6, 6 layup. With going with thicker cloth you will end up having issues with it not staying in tight corner or bends. I assume you are not bagging.
Mike

One layer of heavy cloth will as Mike said not want to stay in corners. It will also print through on the surface. You will see the weave through the paint. I like a layer of 3.2 followed by 2-3 layers of 6 oz on the bias depending on the strength needed.

That's the system we used on the Leecraft epoxy glass tunnels. It helps to either coat the mold with primer or a thin coat of resin before the cloth to help with pinholes. We sprayed epoxy primer on the molds toward the end of our production. We also used a mold release agent, Freecoat. This made cleanup a lot easier. You need to fill corners with a Cabosil mix since even 3 oz cloth won't fill sharper corners.

Lohring Miller

Mark you say you like to start with layer of 3.2, what weight are these layers? Thank you and Mike for responding.
When I was building boats I used 2 layers of 1.5 oz mat followed with one layer C-veil for looks. But I bought an older Youngblood 20 hull and it looks as if it was built using one layer of cloth, but I may be wrong! Thanks again Mike and Mark

I only use woven fabrics with epoxy resin. 3.2oz and 6oz cloth. If you are working with polyester and mat, I have no experience. I do know that boats made with nothing but chop strand mat are fragile.

Latest posts

Back