What to use reseal deck to hull ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 20 Vision that the hull has completely separated from the deck. What is readily available that will reseal it, and do I need to grind all the old white stuff out or not? Advice from someone that has done this before would be nice. Thnx James

Yes grind the old stuff out. Fill the area with thickened epoxy. I would use laminating resin mixed with mill fiber and fumed silica, but a good epoxy mixed with micro balloons would work.

I would 3M 5200 fast cure silicone. Will bond better than epoxy and will take vibration better. I is almost impossible to get it apart once it cures. Mic

i have fixed way to many shoebox tunnel seams over the years. Polyester and epoxy mixed with fillers, and they split again. If your worried about paint and use 5200 carefully mask off hull and deck and you will have a thin white seam under the lip which you won't need to fix again. No mixing chemicals and little clean up.
Mic

i have fixed way to many shoebox tunnel seams over the years. Polyester and epoxy mixed with fillers, and they split again. If your worried about paint and use 5200 carefully mask off hull and deck and you will have a thin white seam under the lip which you won't need to fix again. No mixing chemicals and little clean up.
Mic
Using 5200 do you grind out the old white stuff or just clean it good with maybe brake parts cleaner, let dry completely then shoot a bead of 5200 in then tape it back together with weights evenly on deck? James

Shoebox fit Sir.

I've used fiberglass resin and microballoons in the past... seemed to hold up..

Now, they sell a chopped fiberglass filler at the auto parts store, that once bonded and hardened,, it's like rock..
Something else will split before it ever breaks...

I had to patch up a F mono at a race that had a huge gaping hole in it and a popped deck lid from a T-bone wreck,,,

I used that filler...still have that boat and I bet that was 15 years ago when I repaired it...

Using 5200 do you grind out the old white stuff or just clean it good with maybe brake parts cleaner, let dry completely then shoot a bead of 5200 in then tape it back together with weights evenly on deck? James
I would grind or sand to get a clean surface. You don't need to go deep. Be careful with solvents as you may do more damage. Clean the surfaces with acetone or lacquer thinner. Lay a bead and tape it together.
Mic

Back