What Size Wire Drive for 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzMandella

What size wire drive would you use for 21 mono and sport 20 . Can't seem to get a reply from Wohlt's . I have emailed a few times and nothing in response .

I use his .078 dia for my .21’s. It’s been a while since I contacted Jeff but he’s been good about getting back to me. He’s still working folk I think and has a real job that takes priority. Did you go to his website?

How large of nitro engine can a wire drive be used ? Will they handle a 45, 67, and 90 size engine?

Mike
Mike,
I use Brent Byers .125” wire drives in my gas rigger and it is pretty slick! Building a new twin and putting wire drives in it as well. I also have all the parts to convert my single 90 hydro to wire drive, I’m confident that it will hold up just fine after seeing the abuse my gas rigger takes.
AD57389A-C74C-4127-9501-12A409B15EB0.jpeg

Last edited:
What kind of metal for wire drive? Tin Steel or Stainless steel ?

Last edited:
ball or needle bearings ?

I used to run needle bearing struts on my mono years ago,,, then everyone in the club kinda got away from using them...
I always liked the way they setup and worked..
I think we used a 3/8 or 7/16 brass tube on the strut and two sets of caged needle bearings that slipped into the tube for a 1/4" cable. A little brass nose cone to reduce and solder to the strut tube in the hull...
Can't remember the part number for the bearings.... S-3 or something like that ???

and maybe a 3/16 ID x 3/8 OD bearing and brass tube for 3/16 cable ??

Last edited:
ball or needle bearings ?

I used to run needle bearing struts on my mono years ago,,, then everyone in the club kinda got away from using them...
I always liked the way they setup and worked..
I think we used a 3/8 brass tube on the strut and two sets of caged needle bearings that slipped into the tube for a 1/4" cable. A little brass nose cone to reduce and solder to the strut tube in the hull...
Can't remember the part number for the bearings.... S-3 or something like that ???
Ball bearings, the stub shafts are soft and won’t support needles running on the surface. I buy ball bearing by the dozen. The balls are really small and if you run them dry at all the little grains of sand disappear quick! I buy mine from McMaster Carr, class 3 I think.

Stub shafts ?

Are the wire drives not an all one piece shaft ??
I have never seen one, or all the pieces it takes to use one. I was picturing just a flexible solid shaft to replace the cable... basically piano wire...
Is there more to it than that ?

What am I missing here ??

Stub shafts ?

Are the wire drives not an all one piece shaft ??
I have never seen one, or all the pieces it takes to use one. I was picturing just a flexible solid shaft to replace the cable... basically piano wire...
Is there more to it than that ?

What am I missing here ??
Brent's wire drive has a stub shaft that is supported by ball bearings or lead Teflon bushings in the strut. See photo below of the strut end of the system.
IMG_20150803_190730013.jpg

Brent's wire drive has a stub shaft that is supported by ball bearings or lead Teflon bushings in the strut. See photo below of the strut end of the system.
View attachment 288860
I wonder that how long will wire drive stand to run until break ( snap off wires piece ) or (bearing worn )10,000 hour ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back