What Size Engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzMandella

So I have decided to get back into RC Boats after 25yrs . Was thinking of starting off with a 1/10th Scale Hydro before getting into 1/8th scale . Was wondering what size engine for 1/10th scale and does the 1/10 scale qualify for sport 40 if a .40 size engine is correct for a 1/10th scale ?

So I have decided to get back into RC Boats after 25yrs . Was thinking of starting off with a 1/10th Scale Hydro before getting into 1/8th scale . Was wondering what size engine for 1/10th scale and does the 1/10 scale qualify for sport 40 if a .40 size engine is correct for a 1/10th scale ?
Good to hear you're getting back in. As far as I know, 1/10 scale hydro is an electric only class.

Hope this helps.
Steve Ball

Steve is correct on the electric only for a competition boat.
That said, for all boats that are run in competition in NAMBA clubs, if the boat:
  • is longer than 35", a .45 would be legal
  • is longer than 27", a.21 would be legal
Now, one thing to remember is, as mentioned above, 1/10th scale is an electric class so, to build a boat that size and race it would mean you couldn't build it with a nitro motor. There is also an electric scale class for 1/8th scale boats

Last edited:
Having built a couple of ML Boatworks 8255 1/10 scale kits for EP power, one could be set up for a 20 size nitro motor with rear exhaust. I don't think it would be a competitive Sport 20. The kit can be ordered for clockwise cornering.

JD

I know that 1/10th scale is mostly electric . There is a club in Tucson that is strictly 1/10th FE . The reason I was looking at the 1/10th scale to maybe build a nitro Sport 40 class boat is because I really like the look of the scale models over that of the Sport 40 models that are available . I have already ordered two sets of Newton Plans . 109-A MHR 7402 1974 Miss U.S. and 138-C MHR 8255 Miss Rock KISW 1983 . Both have high full length cowlings . Would a 40 not fit . I do plan on using waterproof receiver(Sanwa) and servos (Savox) . So I should save space not having to use radio box . I am looking at a Sanwa MX-6 w/ 2-Waterproof recievers for $110.00 .

Having built a couple of ML Boatworks 8255 1/10 scale kits for EP power, one could be set up for a 20 size nitro motor with rear exhaust. I don't think it would be a competitive Sport 20. The kit can be ordered for clockwise cornering.

JD
I agree a 20 size engine would not push a 1/10 scale wood model very well . You don't think a 40 would fit with the high cowling of the MHR 8255 ?

I agree a 20 size engine would not push a 1/10 scale wood model very well . You don't think a 40 would fit with the high cowling of the MHR 8255 ?
Actually, an engine like a CMB or Nova Rossi 20 would probably get a 1/10 Scale 8255 up to around 50. If I were going to convert an 8255 to nitro I would make a radio box that would fit in front of the engine like my Sport 20 and fuel tanks on the sides.
JD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back