What is everyone doing???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A hydro is a hydro, 3 riding surfaces, 1 being the prop. It's all a balancing act to hit on the right combination through testing and lots of it!! Those that do it, do a great job and produce some great boats which run extremely well, but even they will change if something proves it works better.

Brad

QUOTE="Grimracer, post: 763573, member: 17"]
Bill.. thats HO man!.. KILLER WORK!
[/QUOTE]
WOW......THATS EVEN MORE AMAZING....i really thought it was 1/32 or 1/24!!
What am I doing?
Sitting in our neighbors back yard around a fire pit 🔥 drinking rum & coke and socializing. That is what we call a good time!!
Id call that a good time too! I HOPE you had one for ME!:D:)

I brought my projects home from work and set up a little workshop in my basement like I used to have............hoping im wrong, but ive got a feeling things could go on like this for weeks to months........im thankful to have something to do, or id go NUTS!!!002.JPG

Uh, Bill, I thought being a boater made us nuts/insane/crazy by association. Have I been wrong for the past 38 years?

Let's see what I have. It looks like you found out the you have to lower the engine as much as possible, I ran into that issue. My orange one was built for Super-Stock but I also have a 48" Assault with a modded 30 cc in it.
The first shot is from when it was in the build stage. Two shows that I added 4-40 aluminum shear bolts as those Speedmaster turn fins like to move too easily. The 3rd is where I'm using elastic hair ties from Dollar General that match the hull colors.
The last 2 are of my 48"er.

Attachments

• assault452.jpg
    assault452.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 30
  • assault454.jpg
    assault454.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 32
  • assauly455.jpg
    assauly455.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 34
  • assault3.jpg
    assault3.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 36
  • assault5.jpg
    assault5.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 32
Gotta love it. Washington State's governor increased the length of our lockdown on Friday. Just received a call from my supervisor, I'll be working the next two days with the rest of the week on standby. I guess that means less boat building time than I thought for the near future🙁

Let's see what I have. It looks like you found out the you have to lower the engine as much as possible, I ran into that issue. My orange one was built for Super-Stock but I also have a 48" Assault with a modded 30 cc in it.
The first shot is from when it was in the build stage. Two shows that I added 4-40 aluminum shear bolts as those Speedmaster turn fins like to move too easily. The 3rd is where I'm using elastic hair ties from Dollar General that match the hull colors.
The last 2 are of my 48"er.
It was my first build and i thought i had it low enough lol i do like the idea of the shear bolts
can u tell me what props your running

Last edited:
Looks AWESOME Andy! Randy told me you were at the boat race.......but i didnt see ya.......hope all is good my friend!
Miss ya man - I didnt get a warm a fuzzy welcome to say the least so I left - walked by lots of folks like JJ and some I wanted to talk with - but frankly I didnt feel welcome. Is what it is - and we move on . Hoping you come join us at TTRA when we get back to normal again my friend , I will be flying my -L/2 attempt. Give Judy and the grandkids a six foot hug for me - miss ya Windex ;)

I know it not a boat but this is what I have been working on over the winter.. I custom made the car and did the cutting on my CNC.
nicely done, I used to race the commercial tracks and my favorate was a modified, 1940 ford plastic model and mount it to a chassis and make your own nerf bars , when it was done it looked like a real vintage dirt track car. fun stuff

I made some nice small parts for my '91 Valvoline Miss Madison with my table saw and a nice crosscut sled. I did a 5 Layer, 1/8" frame for the motor well. 2 ramps, 2 short straight sides and the rear cross piece. Came out great. I also did the sheeting for the motor well, 2 pieces.

I Did a couple 7 layer, 1/4" triangles for the rear shoe mod on the transom. Started with a 30 degree cut, then a 41 degree cut. Really happy with the results. Not sure if framing the rear shoes before sheeting was the right choice though. 😕

Stay positive!

Nothing wrong with framing first, considering I kind of mixed how I did mine. Are you building yours like the plans or did you try to follow what the boat actually looks like?

Depending on the plans you have, they might be for the Bud T-2, the hull that the 88 Madison was based on. I know some are going to say "What the heck are you talking about?" but it is true. The Bud T-2 was built, IIRC, at the Ron Jones shop. The Madison, which raced the first time in 1988 in Tri-Cities Washington, was built using the same plans, modified to be able to carry the extra weight of a Turbo-Allison. After the boat blew over in San Diego, it was repaired and had shoes added to the rear of the boat. It raced in that basic configuration for two years and then was taken to the Budweiser shop in Tukwila Washington, where the Allison mounts and systems were removed, mounts were installed for turbine engines and associated equipment, the bullnose was moved back to 126" from the front of the sponsons, the shoes were extended to 26"(at deck level, and yes, I did measure them) and the verticals were moved back to on top of the shoes. The boat I started hasn't been completed but the shoes are built so I can post some pictures if you would like

Somebody posted some Frosted Flakes pictures of the real boat. I do have the plans and they are little help. Some guesing going on too.
That would be me, your right, the plans don’t tell you much, in the end I simply did my own thing and from the photos I have and shared with you before. If your creation visually matches your pictures, you’ve succeeded. All of the blah blah blah about this boat and that boat and the changes that happen from week to week in 1991 will only drive you batty. Keep it simple, do what you feel looks right and who can say your wrong

And I would totally agree with you on that one Greg. If I hadn't actually taken measurements off the boat, I probably wouldn't know any different about any of the changes either. Heck, I got to listen to Mike and Larry talk about changing the rise on the sponson runners one of the days I was able to see the boat. Was interesting to hear Mike talk about how the boat was "dragging a sponson", though he didn't go into much detail about what he meant or what all they were planning on changing.

Back