What Flex Cable Grease are you using?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zippkits is selling the Prather grease. I've used many over the years, Hughey, AquaCraft Grim Racer grease (the smell reminds me of an oil refinery), Speed Lube (a rubbing compound odor) that Mark Sholund sells or at one time sold and many others. I can't say that any one is any better or worse than another.
What I would have loved to score was a graphite-based spray that was used where I worked, super-sticky but really slippery so I don't think that it would get tossed or need to be re-greased as much, can handle RPM and extreme temperatures.

So I ended up picking up the BelRay Waterproof Grease. It pretty much looks and acts like the Prather grease but maybe a little bit thicker. Super sticky too. Color is very similar also. One 1lb. tub of this stuff should last two lifetimes for lubing shafts. I refilled the Prather grease container and put the rest of the tub in the garage. I'm sure it will get abused out there...

Here is the thing , how are you evaluating the efficiency of whatever lube you use ? Are you the guy that makes 2 runs and re-greases or are you that guy that runs 1000 laps and wonders why your shaft breaks ? This is why oilers work better in my opinion . You grease upon setup and oil up every run and at the end of a weekend of racing you have a nice mixture of the original grease and oil on the shaft .
The BelRay seems to interest me. I've looked at the 2-4-C, also looked at the Yamalube. I was going to try that then I seen the Mercruiser "Extreme". I have used the Prather stuff for years put have run out of it. I dont know if there is still a supply of it or not. But was looking to try new. I've tried the Lubriplate and a few marine greases. All seem to be thinner and much messier. I want great results from the lube and do Not want to leave any in the lake...
Then don't run boats . No matter what you do if you run and race it's going in the lake .

When I was using grease Don, after several runs the grease had black in it and there were areas where there was no grease

With oiliers and oil after several runs, you pull the shaft the oil looks like Mayo and the ENTIRE SHAFT IS COATED, NO BLACK. The coating is
Like having a Teflon tube on the shaft
The oil emulsified with the water

Also the oil gets down into the lans of the cable

Plain old blue waterproof wheel bearing grease from O'Rileys auto parts store... I pack my trailer hubs, rock crawler 4x4 hubs, drag car hubs, etc... never failed me yet.
Grease my cables before I leave for a race, run all weekend, grease is still on cables and sleeve bearings when I clean up the boats..

No need for oilers,extra plumbing and weight, or special mystery mixtures...KISS.

Latest posts

Back