What do you like for a soldering iron

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the 862d+ off ebay, its a soldering station with hot air gun . cant beat it for the price and it has dials to set temp so its really handy .

I like an adjutable butane powered iron since I can take it to the pond with me and they tend to get hotter than an electric

I've always used Unger for years (bought out by Weller). Bought a Haiko (hope I spelled it right). Don't remember model number. But you can set the temperature. And it stays at that temp. The Unger/Weller heating element and or tip got to be too hard to find.
Ken

I have two Weller's, one has to be 30 years old.
I bought it off of a Snap on truck when I worked on diesel refrigeration ( Thermo King ) in Miami FL. The units control panel and wiring harness had some heavy 10 gauge wires in it that terminated on pins in a quick connect plug. I had to have a gun that would heat hot and fast to keep from burning up the connections. I think that gun is 200 watts.
It's fallen off of ladders, trucks, toolboxes and has withstood the test of time.

A few years back I decided to go online and see if I could dress up the old girl as she was pretty rough, the case was 75% duct tape and electrical tape. Weller had every piece in stock!

I gave her two new case sides,. a trigger assembly, light bulbs and bulb holders, screws, and cord. and of course, new tips.
She burns in wire just like it's brand new.

my second Weller is a low watt gun 45 watts..it works great for smaller gauge wires and light jobs. Then there's the radio shack special.
It's one of those stick pens with a tiny tip and an on-off button I rigged onto it. It works perfect for circuit board stuff and servo wires.

I think the biggest mistake people make is the choice of solder and flux. and then heat control. Acid flux has no place near electrical wire and parts unless it's a last ditch effort to make a repair. Rosin flux only !!!! and quality thin wire solder, not the 1/8" thick stuff for plumbing!!!

And heat,,, you need enough heat for the job.
You will burn up more **** trying to solder with too low of a heat. You want a gun that will heat fast and hard... get in and out quickly. If you are spending more that a few seconds to make a solder joint, chances are something is not right.

Solder follows the heat. you should tin the tip of the gun first, then apply it to the joint, and put the solder away from the tip. as soon as the solder flows keep moving the solder until the connection is covered. As soon as it has flowed to the tip, quickly pull the heat and solder away. You will be rewarded with a nice shiny solder joint. If it looks flat and dull, either it's a cold joint or something moved before it cooled.

Practice makes perfect, so if you haven't used the gun in a while... practice on some scrap prior to making that critical joint..make sure everything is as clean as can be. Including your flux, brush, solder, tip, contact point and wire.
Flux the connection, and go for it !!
Be quick, and don't overheat the joint, if something is wrong, stop! Recheck everything and let it cool off before trying again.

Practice, practice, practice !! It will go a long way to making you a pro solderer !

I use Weller 8200N 100w/140w many year but replace only soldering gun tips

Attachments

• F020527B-4FCA-419D-B7B2-619B8DF136E3.jpeg
    F020527B-4FCA-419D-B7B2-619B8DF136E3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
my soldering station.
1622979877388.png
What I do with it.
1622980002746.png
Also can make a tank for the boat with it.
Have not found any thing I can not do with it.
Just takes the right tip and the right prep work.
O and the right flux.
Got some silicon finger tip guards also that work killer.
Micro Mark has lots of killer stuff.

Depends on what you want the iron to so. Are you soldering 10AWG wire into 10mm bullets or fixing delicate servo wires? I use a Weller 200W chisel tip iron for battery and motor wire soldering and a 65W small pencil tip for delicate work. I noticed Home Depot lists a 120VAC 200W plumbing soldering iron for a very reasonable price. This may be worth a try: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hakko-20...12-P/204265002

my soldering station.
View attachment 291688
What I do with it.
View attachment 291689
Also can make a tank for the boat with it.
Have not found any thing I can not do with it.
Just takes the right tip and the right prep work.
O and the right flux.
Got some silicon finger tip guards also that work killer.
Micro Mark has lots of killer stuff.
I have all of the common soldering irons mentioned, after having a Mercedes repair shop for about 40 years, including the torch and the big iron but was thinking about one of these for some light work. What is the piece on the table that you are working on?

Latest posts

Back