What are you using your Novarossi to clean it out

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Simmons

What do you use to clean out your nova Rossi and what kind of after run oil are you using. 

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
This is for all Nitro motors. When your done running for the day, fire the motor up one more time and run the fuel out of the motor, after that I oil the motor with a 50/50 mixture of Marvel Mystery oil and Marvel Air Tool Oil.

Mike

I used Mobil 1 Turbine oil on Glenn Quarles recommendation when I started back racing using Novas, Ihad some left from the ballbearing/solid shaft days. When that ran out I switched to Rislone engine treatment on Jim Wilson’s recommendation. I know well known racers using, synthetic ATF, synthetic Lucas air tool oil, and Sta-Bil Fogging oil with success. The major concern if I remember correctly is NOT using a petroleum based product.
Thanks John

The goal is first to get rid of the nitro, as that attacts the moisture. The trick I learned through International Waters is to make afterrun fuel. This is methanol (80%) and 20% castor oil.
After you are done running, i hook up the engine directly to the can with after run fuel and fire up the engine one more time. I let it run till it is hot enough and then kill the engine. Afterwards I clean it with Corrision X and store it with Rislone engine treatment.

Switching to Corrosion-X is one of the single best things I ever did with my engines. Believe me, bearings and engine parts are a lot more expensive than the $20 can of corrosion X that lasts almost all summer... It doesn't swell silicone ramps like other oils and it works for pretty much everything else, including drying out electronics if they get wet.

Brian

Corrosion X with a smidge of kerosene (1-K) and a bit of Lucas Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer...

kerosene's the only thing I know of that neutralizes the residual nitric acid from nitromethane

combustion. Theoretically, that should increase bearing life. Klotz claims their FogOn product

combats corrosion for afterun and storage, too-

http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheets/KL-610 Tech Sheet.pdf

https://lucasoil.com/products/engine-oil-additives/pure-synthetic-oil-stabilizer

KL-610.png 10130_SynStab_800x950.jpg

Other than that, we pretty much listen to what John B. has to say on the matter.

The goal is first to get rid of the nitro, as that attacts the moisture. The trick I learned through International Waters is to make afterrun fuel. This is methanol (80%) and 20% castor oil.
After you are done running, i hook up the engine directly to the can with after run fuel and fire up the engine one more time. I let it run till it is hot enough and then kill the engine. Afterwards I clean it with Corrision X and store it with Rislone engine treatment.

I have tried this and agree with you but I ran into a problem, The motor dose not want to run with the after run fuel.(No nitro) Several questions, How much nitro do you have in your racing fuel? What glow plug do you race with? Do you change glow plugs to run the after run fuel through the motor.

Thanks for the help
Mike

I never race with the plug I clean the motor out with. That is the clean out plug..

Grim

Tim what are the combustion residuals from methanol and a synthetic oil like Klotz? Gary Pruesse always used that as an after run and never got had any bearing issues as far as I know. I mixed some methanol with 20% Klotz full synthetic, I can get it to fire and run in my 46 & 91 but it won’t light in the 21. Same as Mike’s experience
Thanks John

Back