What are you guys using for...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasted wages

Supporting Member
Long term engine storage ??

I've tried multiple types of spray lubes, trans fluids over the years, they all seem to have their downfalls in one way or another... I've picked up a few motors lately, and a couple of them had a clear thick oil that seems to stick to metal really well.

I don't think it was a spray lube due to the viscosity, and it was crystal clear...best thing I can equate it to is corn syrup... same thickness and clarity..

any thoughts or ideas ??

I thought about trying refrigeration POE or alkybenzine oil, but I'm afraid they may be to hydroscopic... anyone ever tried straight refrigeration mineral oil ?
150/300 weight ?

Corrosion X has worked well for me. If I know the motor will be sitting for a long time I will flush thoroughly with white gas to get the nitro and alcohol out, drain it and dry it then spray Corrossion X liberally through the motor and put it in a sealed bag with some paper towels.

I have Rislone and corrosion x, I coat the motor good inside and out put a couple blue rags in a ziplock bag with corrosion x on them and in the spring clean it all up

Does Corrosion X dry up or run off over time ?
Jim Wilson favored Rislone over Corrosion X for after run. He said Corrosion X congealed in long term storage. I’ve not tested it but took Jim’s word for it. Marvel Mystery oil is good but not compatible with Novarossi engines that have a silicone ramp in the crankshaft. My go to after run used to be WD40 with 20% Marvel Mystery Oil until I started running Nova’s.

Does Corrosion X dry up or run off over time ?

It won't dry up but it'll get a little thicker over time and leave a film of oil behind. To me, that's why it works so well. I use it for after run and winter storage. Lots of stuff out there, but I stopped searching when I saw the difference it made. Bearings last a LOT longer now. It doesn't swell/ attack silicone crank ramps either like other oils.

Almost forgot. For over a couple of years now I’ve been using Sta-Bil fogging oil spray at the pond and then Rislone at home before pulling the engines. I also use it at the races between days.

I use corrosion X on my machine tools too.. you can spray the beds.. come back MONTHS later and run your finger though the oil.. Amazing..

Grim

anyone have a link or a picture of the can of rislone you are using?
I looked it up on Google and they make about 2000 products...

I still don't think this is anything like the stuff I'm talking about...

They changed the bottle since I bought mine but saw a YouTube and this is blue and looks like it is it. Mine was a all yellow bottle as well. I would like to see exactly what the bottle is of Corrosion x there using. they have a few different ones as well and I didn't ever know which one to get.

Attachments

• 7081049_rsl_100qr_pri_larg.jpg
    7081049_rsl_100qr_pri_larg.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 8
That's what my V6 Toyota uses .. 0w-20...
sewing machine oil... 🤣
SAE20w non detergent oil same as compressor oil.
Also use it to oil the old South Bend lath.
Have had the same 2.5 gal jug for a few years now.
Don't think you can get it at Tractor Supply any more.
Have to go to a real tractor shop........LOL
SAE10W non detergent is also very good but hard to find any more.
Air tool oil works just as good.

I bought a chain saw recently and noticed bar and chain oil may make for a good storage and assembly oil. Anyone uses it? I have been using MMO for many years.

MMO is my usual go to.... It's just recently that I bought a few motors and they were pickled with this really thick sticky clear oil... I guess I will PM the guys I bought the motors from to ask them about it...

Back