Quantcast

West Systems G flex epoxy

Help Support intlwaters.com:

TomGracey

Supporting Member
You Bet I''v used it on several hulls and love it, this 1/10th U-100 Coors Light was built using G-flex and a small amount of Super glue for tacking some parts.

IMG_2099.JPG

KenBeller

Tanks for the response I would think a bit of flexibility would be good

TomGracey

Supporting Member
Its not overly flexible is just far less brittle as the other West systems 105 and other epoxy's. When I was stress testing it actually had a great breaking strength the standard epoxy's.

Mix up some equal amounts of both types in the small plastic mixing cup's and let it cure for 24 hrs. The standard West Systems 105 will just about fall out of the mixing cup. But not the G Flex you'll have to destroy the mixing Cup to get to break the bond.

TomGracey

Supporting Member
Yes G-10 .015 deck skin's & .030 on the bottom and sponsons be sure to sand the surfaces with 100 grit to be glued to give it some tooth for the epoxy to hang on to

bzubee

Yes David Hall and I have been using it for many years. Best epoxy we have found . Total Boat also makes an epoxy similar to it and it comes in larger quantities.

QUOTE="KenBeller, post: 759038, member: 11927"]
Anybody ever use this Gflex epoxy for west systems. Any feedback ?
[/QUOTE]

bzubee

They also offer the GFlex in tubes that are pre-thickened. I'll tell another great adhesive for flexibility it's E6000 it can be found in craft stores and glues almost anything. Similar to silicone but way tougher. The only glue I've found that can glue the sullivan fuel tanks together. When you pull it off of something it keeps stretching untill it finally releases most cases in one piece.

Hydro Junkie

Heres one place
I may have to order some of that. The nice part is that it's epoxy glass and not poly so it can be glued on with epoxy. Since it's flat, it would be like using aluminum honeycomb in the full sized boats though it would be harder on blades and sanding media than ply would be. Guess there's trade offs in everything

DougSick

How is it for sanding? Would it work well for sealing surfaces and sanding before painting. I like the105 for surfaces as it cures fast and hard under a heat lamp. Could be interesting for making cowls but maybe too flexible.

James Schmidt

Man that seems awful thin G 10 must be very strong. Would this thickness be as strong as 16th inch plywood ?

Latest posts