West Systems Epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a nice new tabletop jsut before nats. FIrst day I had it out, it left a fuel ring of the bottom of the fuel jug on it. It is mostly fuel proof. It will discolor it in the heat of the sun if the fuel is jsut sitting. So is it fuel proof......No. Mostly thou.
Mike

I built a nice new tabletop jsut before nats. FIrst day I had it out, it left a fuel ring of the bottom of the fuel jug on it. It is mostly fuel proof. It will discolor it in the heat of the sun if the fuel is jsut sitting. So is it fuel proof......No. Mostly thou.
Mike
In that application did you happen to polish the table top?

Like Mike said, not completely "fuel proof" but it will hold up very well for a long time. It will surely discolor (yellow) over time too but we've found it has more to do with the sun than anything else.

For a boat stand, it will be just fine. Might even look better with a yellow tint.

If you're worried about the boat yellowing over time, you can throw some automotive clear coat over it (that's what I do with mine so they don't yellow). I believe West systems offers a UV resistant resin too but I've never tried it. I've been told the UV light is what causes the discoloration.

Brian

Thanks everyone I have the information I need. I'm going too use the west systems and see how that does.
Thanks again for all the help.

So John, you must have known Jan and Meade Gougeon ? I raced DN Ice boats back then and met them both. Thats how I found their epoxy.
Yes sir, knew Jan better. His tri-hull sail boat was amazing. I had many students that raced DN’s on lake St.Clair, they built all their own hardware in my shop class. Jan passed a few years ago but Meade is still with us as far as I know. Ron Logghe and I would go up and see them at least once a year.
Ron, glad to see you are doing better after your battle with Covid.

So John, you must have known Jan and Meade Gougeon ? I raced DN Ice boats back then and met them both. Thats how I found their epoxy.
Their products were developed for ice boats because nothing on the market worked. Their wood saturation process for building full-size sailboats was a big leap in technology at the time as well.

Thanks everyone I have the information I need. I'm going too use the west systems and see how that does.
Thanks again for all the help.

I use the 207 and never had an issue with 60% fuel...it does yellow a bit in engine and tank bays, but doesn't soften. Also, we wipe those compartments out with paper shop towels with a bit of acetone...never an issue.
The chemical engineer at Gougeon Bros., Bruce Niederer, will tell you the same thing.

Yes sir, knew Jan better. His tri-hull sail boat was amazing. I had many students that raced DN’s on lake St.Clair, they built all their own hardware in my shop class. Jan passed a few years ago but Meade is still with us as far as I know. Ron Logghe and I would go up and see them at least once a year.
Ron, glad to see you are doing better after your battle with Covid.

Jan and Meade were good friends of mine...hung out with Jan in his 'lab' on the river frequently... rode bicycles a lot with Meade. Great guys...miss them both.
Meade passed 2-3 yrs. ago...Jan passed back in 2013ish while we were in Georgia.

I met Meade Gougeon at the North American Multi Hull Championships in 1969. I got an autographed copy of their book on boat construction at my sister-in-law's wedding. It's been my bible for model and full size boats since. I used West Proset resins for the Leecraft tunnels we built as well as their standard resins on all wood boats since. You need a good urethane clear coat over the resin for protection.

Take a look at their incredible trimaran at the '69 Championships below. Gamecock was my boat. Their trimaran shows on the second day part of video. It had a jib and soft sail in contrast to the wing masts on all the catamarans except Sealion. Sorry for the bad video translated from an old 8 mm film.

Lohring Miller

I met Meade Gougeon at the North American Multi Hull Championships in 1969. I got an autographed copy of their book on boat construction at my sister-in-law's wedding. It's been my bible for model and full size boats since. I used West Proset resins for the Leecraft tunnels we built as well as their standard resins on all wood boats since. You need a good urethane clear coat over the resin for protection.

Take a look at their incredible trimaran at the '69 Championships below. Gamecock was my boat. Their trimaran shows on the second day part of video. It had a jib and soft sail in contrast to the wing masts on all the catamarans except Sealion. Sorry for the bad video translated from an old 8 mm film.

Lohring Miller

Jan won the Port Huron to Mackinaw Singlehanded race many times, usually not by minutes but hours! I had a close friend that had one of their 30ft conventional hulls, I crewed a few times on it in the Lake St. Clair series. Great racer. Good memories. Thanks

Back