Welcome to the Dark Side

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Atwell

Big shoutout to Jerry Crowther over at Seaducer.
Posted on here a month or so ago about a beginner electric boat. My initial plan was to get a ready to run hull, but knowing I’ve wanted to build some electric tunnels, I wanted to start from the ground up.
Jerry set me up with a P-Limited Seaducer. Can’t beat Seaducer quality and felt better to support a “local” boater than order something off the shelf, plus I was able to let Brayden’s (fiancé’s little brother) creative juices flow.
Shoutout to Stumpfab for the ESC cooling plate, and the countless threads on here many of you have posted. Enjoyed the contributions by some of the top line FE guys on here (Mic, Tyler, Don Huff and many more I’m sure I’ve read a thread or two from).

Since this is a “beginner” boat, went with the SSS 3656 and FlyColor 150 combo. If I get an itch for speed when he’s not playing with it I know where to turn 😉. Have the throttle turned down for Brayden but once he gets the hang of it we’ll crank it up.
Here’s a few pictures of it completed, fingers crossed it’ll get wet either this weekend or next!
Haven’t cut flotation for it yet but I’ll be picking that up tomorrow!
7C7BF7BD-0DC6-4967-A0A5-DD33535D8DB9.jpeg6D94FDBF-5625-4683-BE18-50836B8B9F2F.jpeg0BF073BE-340D-4D6E-B8FC-F86B13802FE0.jpegE650C967-D11F-4735-8748-AA27267541E0.jpeg

Rookie here (lol)
I was curious on that too. It functions without the second receiver battery, so I wasn’t sure if it was needed as to not drain the larger battery more than necessary? Helps with CG regardless at least!
Makes sense that it isn’t needed, just didn’t know at the time while I was waiting on everything to come in.

Last edited:
Brandon,

Great looking boat. Definitely pack that nose full of foam. I also like putting a sponge tucked somewhere in the back of the boat to suck up the small leaks that will happen.

Also put a second water outlet for the ESC. The way you got the cooling system plumbed the exit flow from the motor may limit flow going through the ESC. Ditch the Y on the exit lines and put two exit fittings.

-Tyler

Brandon,

Great looking boat. Definitely pack that nose full of foam. I also like putting a sponge tucked somewhere in the back of the boat to suck up the small leaks that will happen.

Also put a second water outlet for the ESC. The way you got the cooling system plumbed the exit flow from the motor may limit flow going through the ESC. Ditch the Y on the exit lines and put two exit fittings.

-Tyler

Good call on the sponge, I’ll give that a go!
I was actually reading your post on dual outlets the other day! Waiting on a second outlet to come in now.

Little dude has been sick this past week, so shooting for sometime this week when he’s cleared to go out and feeling better to give it a go!

Tyler is right. The water will take the path of least resistance. Which ever path has more resistance will starve for cooling. For a limited setup you wont be pulling that many amps so heat shouldn't be too crazy. Perfectly safe to cool everything in series. Motor then ESC or ESC then motor.

View attachment IMG_0217.MOV

Officially turned our first laps today! Here’s his first time in the water.
Went great, he had a blast. Was able to inch the speed up for him to about 55% throttle before he asked me to back it down 😂
Have some handling issues to work out, new to monos so talked with Jerry and have some trim tab adjustments to make.
He’s excited, once I told him he could race it in the future he was ready to practice more. Storm rolled in and cut our day short.

Another thought on the water line. It should be going into the lower connection on the cooling jacket then out through the higher one. Think of a bottle with holes on the top and bottom. Push in water in the top hole and it drains out the bottom. Put water in the bottom and it fills the bottle before draining. More contact with cooling water.

Back