Waterproof Receivers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its easy to waterproof any RX or other electronics . Remove the circuit board from the case. Protect the plug pins with some small tubing or heat shrink . Brush on 2-3 coats of the Silicon Conformal coating allow to dry between coats reassembly. Apply a small amount of Silicon grease to the plug pins to stop corrosion.,Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 12.39.49 PM.png

This question always makes me scratch my head. Maybe that's why I don't have much hair left......

The answer is simple.. Put the time and energy into building a watertight radio box....... Steve Woods and Al Hobbs have great push rod seals available for sale.

Same here. Radio boxes can EASILY be made waterproof. And it eliminates taking chances with exposed electronics.

I also try to build the best waterproof box but I also place the receiver in a baby bottle insert. Poke a small hole in the closed end for the antenna and then put a little silicon to seal it and all the servo leads go out the other end and use a twist lock to seal the end. Always open the end after a weekend of running to let air. It maybe old school but I wrap the receiver with thin foam before putting it in the bag to isolate vibration.
Bill Hoch

Water tight radio compartment is a must, I also open up receivers then spray with Corr-X, I also spray the switches with Corr-X.
Walt Barney

Thanks guys. lots of people are using waterproof receivers with a lot success (Airtronics/Sanwa and Spectrum) here in the scale clubs. I am building a gas scale turbine Pak and for the first time using waterproof servos that are not mounted in the radio box. I have built over 25 radio boxes out of wood, molded fiberglass and carbon fiber plate and it goes against the way I have always done things to go with these waterproof components, but the guys that are using the waterproof components have had no issues. I would probably put even a waterproof receiver in a small box with the battery. I want to place the throttle servo behind the motor on the right side and the rudder servo on the left towards the back.

I am just trying to avoid buying a new non Futaba radio system.

So, does anyone know if there's a waterproof receiver that works well with Futaba 2.4? I 3PK and 4PK transmitters.

do you have any pictures of those radio box seals from Al Hobbs or a website where I can look at them thank you in advance Mart

I have had my best luck with the seals from Enforcer Boats. They are larger diameter so there is less chance for the linkage to bind.

When you are doing the radio box setup and locating the seals always move the servo arm to the 9 or 3 o clock position (depending if the servo arm is located on the right or left side of the servo) and install the seal so the linkage is biased to the outboard side of the seal housing. When the servo actuates in either direction the linkage will move to or past center towards the to inboard side of the seal without binding. Binding servos will inhale a battery and cause a lot of heat and component failure.

The first radio I built was from Heathkit and it came with linear servos using a center pinion and two rack gears on each side of the pinion that each had tabs with a single hole to attach a clevis that slid between slots on top of the servo case. I never used it in push/pull configuration but it was maybe the first push/pull set up in RC. Pretty good idea really. We are always transforming linear motion linkage with rotary motion servos that cause the linkage to move from side to side instead of just fore and aft. Just think how great the seals could be with linear servos because they could just sealed with an o-ring(s) in a mountable carrier mechanism and a little silicone grease. It would eliminate waterproof boots altogether.

Back