Water Pickup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Starrett

Supporting Member
Are any of you guys using water pickups other than thru the rudder that is working well? I'm putting together Q Sport Hydro and the rudder is small with 1 water pickup. I would like to have dedicated pickups for the motor and ESC. TIA

I've seen people mount pickups on trim tabs by drilling a hole and making up a brass water pickup cut at a 45.. I've also seen pickups that mount on the back/bottom edge of the right hand sponson...

I've seen them for sale before, but it's been a while.. maybe speed master ?? Octura ??

Mike,
I believe SM make a 1" dual pickup rudder. Speedmaster Dual Pickup rudders I run single pickups in most of my boats and don't see any issues while running so long as there is minimal restrictions inline.
I think I'll give the single line a try. The rudder is setup to use large tubing as well as the ESC and motor. Do you use the cooling on the motor mount plate? It does not have fittings for the large tubing. Thanks for your answers. Mike

Mike,

The cooling plate is not very effective unless you are running an outrunner style motor. Otherwise run a normal jacket on the motor. I prefer to cool the ESC first and then the motor since the ESC is more heat sensitive. I don't like splitting the flow from a single inlet to the motor and ESC as the flow will take the path of least resistance so one component may receive less water.

Just 2 cents worth.

Back