Warlock rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got back to the rigging I wanted not to drill tru the side of tub for third channel needle but threw in the towel.Trying to find the os needle for the base wasn’t worth the hassle.I ended up drilling the tub and used a zenoah throttle bracket for the Stu Barr needle.I used some blind nuts sandwiched between some plywood and glue the wood mount to tub.Used some Woods rc pushrod seals on the build.The rudder had to big of mount so fabricated and narrow mount.Didn’t use the carbon mount that was with the kit had a servo mount I didn’t use on another build so I glued it in.

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    931 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Tyler, I'm not much of a rigger man since I've only ever had one. But, look closely at the leading edge of the rear sponsons. Do they not look a little TOO low?? Think my rigger (Road Runner) had that leading edge like at least a quarter inch higher. Maybe a half inch up from the bottom. Hate to see him have trouble with launch right off the bat...

Ken

I will try it the way it is they were already glued on when I got this kit I’m just going to clear the tub so if I have to remove them shouldn’t be as hard to refinish it.

Tyler, I'm not much of a rigger man since I've only ever had one. But, look closely at the leading edge of the rear sponsons. Do they not look a little TOO low?? Think my rigger (Road Runner) had that leading edge like at least a quarter inch higher. Maybe a half inch up from the bottom. Hate to see him have trouble with launch right off the bat...

Ken
Ken, I did have to cut my rear's off and raise them. Unless I had a huge huck of a launch it would suck the ass end of the boat down as water went over the rears. I raised them about a 1/4" and now the boat launches easily and runs awesome.

Finally got back to the rigging I wanted not to drill tru the side of tub for third channel needle but threw in the towel.Trying to find the os needle for the base wasn’t worth the hassle.I ended up drilling the tub and used a zenoah throttle bracket for the Stu Barr needle.I used some blind nuts sandwiched between some plywood and glue the wood mount to tub.Used some Woods rc pushrod seals on the build.The rudder had to big of mount so fabricated and narrow mount.Didn’t use the carbon mount that was with the kit had a servo mount I didn’t use on another build so I glued it in.

You simply could've scabbed a 3/32" plywood plate with screws coming through the backside (making a stud arrangement)....Dremel the Phillips slots out a bit for epoxy to grab hold of, and that's it....no holes in tub.

The hole was for the adjuster for the needle ,the mount that comes with the needle there’s very little room where the screw mounts it once mounted I couldn’t get the screw tighten unless i used a regular bolt and use a wrench to tighten it and have the motor out these valves are so long couldn’t stand it up so laying it down is the only option with the zenoah bracket it raises it up enough so I can use a ball end Allen and tighten the needle without pulling engine ,the linkage too clear needs the vavle to be so the adjuster is out of the tub.It works good got plenty of throw.The only hole is for the adjustment.

Fabed up a home made tank trim the cowl used some carbon fiber for a tongue used the same on the top skin of tub for the tongue.I used some 1/8 square for the cowl support so it don’t dropped in tub will use two glass plastic turn style to hold cowl Down.The pipe is for mocking up I have a ops 21 pipe for it will use a 90 degree pressure fitting.Not sure on weather to cut the tail end of cowl kinda it’s flimsy.

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpeg
    IMG_0488.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0489.jpeg
    IMG_0489.jpeg
    906.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0490.jpeg
    IMG_0490.jpeg
    947.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0491.jpeg
    IMG_0491.jpeg
    792.5 KB · Views: 1
Yeh it’s more for a sport 20 hull I will hack it off I need to seal the wood on the bottom side of cowl and seal the tub next hopefully get it in paint this weekend the sponsons have two cotes of epoxy already need to sand them and prime

Got it painted this weekend the clear went on great painted the cowl went to sponson had a issue with gun so I tried the round spray to blow some paint out but ended up cleaning the gun must of got a chunk of crud refilled gun forgot I had it on round spray and covered the top of one sponson got a sag init.Finished painting both sponsons.The kit came with black and white decals so I used them the white covered the sag cant hardly see it here’s what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0492.jpeg
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Got it painted this weekend the clear went on great painted the cowl went to sponson had a issue with gun so I tried the round spray to blow some paint out but ended up cleaning the gun must of got a chunk of crud refilled gun forgot I had it on round spray and covered the top of one sponson got a sag init.Finished painting both sponsons.The kit came with black and white decals so I used them the white covered the sag cant hardly see it here’s what it looks like.
Nice!!

Finished it up put floatation in cowl ,cowl locks on used small servo arms fitted pipe to header made a simple stand from scrap wood laying around I plugged the stock water head holes and drilled and taped 4mm 90 degree at back of head and drilled a .062 hole in head right tru the v on the evo letter

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpeg
    IMG_0501.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Ken
Ken, Tyler, Bruce,

I'm skeptical the leading edge of the rear sponsons is not the cause of any launch issues with this boat. While I can't speak for the Warlok in specific, the Warlok and the BlackJack are virtually identical for this vintage of Warlok. They both have the same origin inspiration. Jon strayed from that origin a bit, even before handing the design over to Chris Wood, who then took it in a completely different direction, where I never deviated from the original concept, aside from minor tweaks. There's more to this story, but that's for a different thread. With the design of this particular boat, at this time of its evolution, my BlackJacks have essentially the exact same set up, with that leading edge being within 1/8" from the bottom of the tub. We can give it a flat, vertical drop, and the boat will launch without a problem, assuming right prop and needle setting. There has never been any need for any Herculean throw for a successful launch. We have not seen that first indication that water was washing over the rear sponsons at launch, causing any problems during launch.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Back