Warlock rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We ran it the other day It would launch fine we were fighting the needle with some old fuel tried a few different props we need to get some fresh fuel and try it again.Once we get the needle right be a great little rigger.

Ken, Tyler, Bruce,

I'm skeptical the leading edge of the rear sponsons is not the cause of any launch issues with this boat. While I can't speak for the Warlok in specific, the Warlok and the BlackJack are virtually identical for this vintage of Warlok. They both have the same origin inspiration. Jon strayed from that origin a bit, even before handing the design over to Chris Wood, who then took it in a completely different direction, where I never deviated from the original concept, aside from minor tweaks. There's more to this story, but that's for a different thread. With the design of this particular boat, at this time of its evolution, my BlackJacks have essentially the exact same set up, with that leading edge being within 1/8" from the bottom of the tub. We can give it a flat, vertical drop, and the boat will launch without a problem, assuming right prop and needle setting. There has never been any need for any Herculean throw for a successful launch. We have not seen that first indication that water was washing over the rear sponsons at launch, causing any problems during launch.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC
Hello Brad and thanks for chiming in,

There may be more going on with my particular boat. Initially I built it just as Jon described and copied hints from other Warlok builds as well as Bradley's 21 rigger. The only change I made was running a square drive. I don't have a good picture showing the stock rear sponsons besides this picture below and if you take a close look the outer edge of the rear sponson almost looks like it is below the water line. It might just be the angle of the photo, but the leading edge was awfully close the bottom of the tub.
IMG_0621.JPG

Compared to other electric and nitro riggers these designs have a fairly low tub height relative to the water level. I know that's on purpose, but it likely makes them more sensitive for poor launches.

I will say for the 2 of 4 heats at the Nitro Nats this boat was running strong and looked awesome. The other 2 heats I had a cable slipping in the ferrule resulting in DNS's. The last heat though it was strolling! I must have cut three buoys in different turns because I was thrilled with how fast she was going and did not care about the cuts.

Since changing rears and running a lower drag driveline I have not had any issues.

Hello Brad and thanks for chiming in,

There may be more going on with my particular boat. Initially I built it just as Jon described and copied hints from other Warlok builds as well as Bradley's 21 rigger. The only change I made was running a square drive. I don't have a good picture showing the stock rear sponsons besides this picture below and if you take a close look the outer edge of the rear sponson almost looks like it is below the water line. It might just be the angle of the photo, but the leading edge was awfully close the bottom of the tub.
View attachment 318861

Compared to other electric and nitro riggers these designs have a fairly low tub height relative to the water level. I know that's on purpose, but it likely makes them more sensitive for poor launches.

I will say for the 2 of 4 heats at the Nitro Nats this boat was running strong and looked awesome. The other 2 heats I had a cable slipping in the ferrule resulting in DNS's. The last heat though it was strolling! I must have cut three buoys in different turns because I was thrilled with how fast she was going and did not care about the cuts.

Since changing rears and running a lower drag driveline I have not had any issues.
Tyler,

The Warlok may be a lower tub than the BlackJack. I've honestly never done a side-by-side. We kinda developed them parallel to each other. His initial build was before mine. To be honest, I was going to buy one from him, but Jon didn't want to make a couple build/material changes that I wanted, so I developed my own. While we both used the same inspiration, I think I was a bit more diligent in adhering to the inspiration, including initial measurement of said inspiration. I know I had to make a couple adjustments to front and rear AOA, as the prototype was VERY stuck to the water. Once those angles were corrected, the BlackJack has been unchanged since.

As for the rears catching oncoming water, there is still a net positive between the upper and lower surfaces. Even if that knife-edge were to dip below the surface, it should resurface pretty quickly. Again, this is in reference to the BlackJack, but I don't think there's much difference between the two at this vintage Warlok.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros

We ran it the other day It would launch fine we were fighting the needle with some old fuel tried a few different props we need to get some fresh fuel and try it again.Once we get the needle right be a great little rigger.
Bruce,

Try an H-6 with 3.6" cup. Get with Sholand. He made a couple for Dave Roach and I that were outstanding. Overall, the boat seems to like a smaller diameter, higher pitch prop than a lot of other 21 riggers.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros

I appreciate all the feedback this isn’t my boat helping a buddy he has a few riggers that need put together and repowered.One thing we was dealing with is running on the rock river so we launch up river so if it stalls it’s straight out retreave boat was a kayak so some rowing involved.The club pond is all weeded up and no good so trying to find a place to run and not piss people off.I went to gas 10 years ago but did build a sport 20 this year.I built a starter and bought a lipo glow igniter those work great.Had a jug of 60% red max fuel that we were using not sure how old has to be over 10 years old there was no floatys and looks ok been stored in a cool basement forgot I even had it.It does run my sport 20 on a previous run about a month ago.I believe 18%oil plus 2 % castor.I use to have a couple eagles sg riggers and some microburst 20 and 40 monos cmb and Mac powered.I think I lost my touch on tuning the nitro motors.The pipe was at 8 inches plug center to the band I believe it’s a cmb ab pipe ran the plug that was in the motor not sure what it is but never blew the plug looked good also at the end of testing.So need to regroup maybe see if I can get Mark or Peter to help.

Bruce,

I have a H-6 @ 3.6” of trailing edge cup.
I have quite a few 21-Hydros and my prototype Nova powered
Stealth Warlok-21 was pretty fast about 80 mph
in Flint, Michigan at a time trial about 8 or 10 years ago.
My Blackjack-21 has been one of the Best 21-Hydros
that I have EVER owned. Once again the Blackjack has
been close to 80 mph as well. Jon built the Stealth Warlok-21
and took it to the Internats in Jackson and had some really
great races with Chris Wood at that race. I never had any trouble
launching either of these 21-Hydros. I bought the plans and cowl
molds from Jon when he got out of boating the first time. He then
came back with a pretty nice Gas Warlok and got out of it again.
Then he came back again and started to make 21-Hydros again.
When Jon sold me the plans & cowl molds he did make me about six boats that I sold. Building boats was not my thing, it was doing propeller work instead. This hobby is not about making money, it is about the great people in this hobby.

Sorry about the long post. Have fun testing that boat.

Mark Sholund

My BlackJack never had any issues with launching or anything else for that matter.
Easily the best overall heat racing 20 hydro that I've had!
While I won't make claims of an 80mph boat, it did run very consistently 72/73 and surprisingly that was fast enough to win a lot of races 🤔
Brad needs to build more!

My BlackJack never had any issues with launching or anything else for that matter.
Easily the best overall heat racing 20 hydro that I've had!
While I won't make claims of an 80mph boat, it did run very consistently 72/73 and surprisingly that was fast enough to win a lot of races 🤔
Brad needs to build more!
Is that Brad Maglinger?

I had one of Jon's Warlock's from his last come back, mine wouldn't get out of its own way.
I tried everything in my playbook to fix it, lost interest and moved on.

Interesting
I guess even though they looked similar, they were not.
One thing I really liked about the BlackJack was Brad sold it as a complete package, with a lot of well thought out quality hardware.

Latest posts

Back