Vintage Quickdraw Engine Information

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

This is my very first post in this Forum and am looking for some information as follows:

Per the attached images, I recently acquired a vintage Quickdraw 25.4 cc engine with a stock stroke and a 34mm bore. The engine is actually in superb condition for the age, i.e. year ~ 1998 or about.

My question is in regards the logo on the recoil pull starter housing. Anyone knows which company is depicted on this logo ? Not sure but it does appear to be "SS" Racing Engines or other ?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Stephane

IMG_0522.JPGIMG_0525.JPGIMG_0526.JPG

That is my logo on the pull starter.
What information are you looking for?
Steve

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your reply and logo ownership confirmation !! I am trying to find out who was the original builder of the engine. I already contacted Mitch of Quickdraw Engines who told me this particular engine would have been a "kit" assembled by somebody else around the year 1998...

Per the attached, Mitch tells me the M9 reference number confirms this was their ninth kit they sold. But, he also tells me #102 is not a Quickdraw Engines serial number but rather some number likely added by the original builder of the said kit.

Hence and given the engine did come with this pull starter that includes your logo, can I now assume it would have been built by yourself ?

Stephane

IMG_0514.JPGIMG_0515.JPG

The biggest issue with these early engines was sleeve wear. Quickdraw started nitriding the sleeves and that helped a lot. Today they chrome plate their sleeves. I would see if they can chrome your sleeve. The latest Quickdraw sleeves are very different with a 6 bolt head that won't fit your engine. However, I bet a Pioneer cylinder will bolt onto your crankcase.

Lohring Miller

since its already paid for, all i would do is ask mitch if he can give u a head button with the smaller plug for it ,even if not just run it till its dead . 10+ oz of a good hi rpm rated oil . then send it to quickdraw and they can upgrade at that time. or u can get the parts if ur a mechanic. otherwise he may still have the older gen hi torque tops with sleeves for sale for $200 or so and other mid range hop-up options. or just go pioneer next .
resist the urge to lean it out . 2strokes dont produce more power that way it just seem like it for 2mins until u scorch the piston then it runs like trash.
tho i see it allot it saddens me that people dont realize u need the unburnt fuel/oil to return to the exhaust port to cool the piston face

I don’t think that I put that engine together the logo is to new in 1998 the logo was different does the motor run or is there a problem with it.?

Steve,

Got it, thank you for the update. There is absolutely no problem with the engine !! It appears to have been rebuilt with a new sleeve and piston at some point in time. It also clearly shows not having been run at all since then. Bottom line, the engine is practically a NOS vintage in perfect condition with two more sleeves and a new piston to go along with.

Given Henry Velasco business card came with the engine, I will contact him to inquire if he was indeed the original builder of this M9 kit.

Thanks again for your time.

Stephane

The biggest issue with these early engines was sleeve wear. Quickdraw started nitriding the sleeves and that helped a lot. Today they chrome plate their sleeves. I would see if they can chrome your sleeve. The latest Quickdraw sleeves are very different with a 6 bolt head that won't fit your engine. However, I bet a Pioneer cylinder will bolt onto your crankcase.

Lohring Miller

Hello Lohring,

Thanks much for the info !! Yes, Mitch did confirm the following:

"I would not spend a whole lot of money on it trying to make it go faster and that sort of thing. Just use it and enjoy it if it is running okay. We have parts for it to keep it alive and you can even buy a new cylinder casting for it for only $80 because its new old stock and there are plenty of them, see photos attached of the newer cylinder casting. If you have the original cylinder casting it is going to be with 4-40 head bolts, the newer castings are 5-40 and that would be in the new casting if you ever want one. The new casting also has the 4 bolt intake manifold so the manifold doesn't warp anymore but you have to use one of our delrin intake manifolds to take advantage of the 4 bolts. The exhaust side is also beefed up so they didn't break castings as easy when you hydraulic the engine and they were also drilled for 2 water hoses in instead of one. With this set up you used 3 water lines out. The exhaust port was also larger for the Hi Rev stuff that was popular at the time."

Cheers,
Stephane

since its already paid for, all i would do is ask mitch if he can give u a head button with the smaller plug for it ,even if not just run it till its dead . 10+ oz of a good hi rpm rated oil . then send it to quickdraw and they can upgrade at that time. or u can get the parts if ur a mechanic. otherwise he may still have the older gen hi torque tops with sleeves for sale for $200 or so and other mid range hop-up options. or just go pioneer next .
resist the urge to lean it out . 2strokes dont produce more power that way it just seem like it for 2mins until u scorch the piston then it runs like trash.
tho i see it allot it saddens me that people dont realize u need the unburnt fuel/oil to return to the exhaust port to cool the piston face

Hello Shawn,

Awesome tips you have here and very much appreciated !!

Thanks,
Stephane

Latest posts

Back