Vintage Outrigger's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Bryant

Supporting Member
Here's a "hot" magazine cover going back to the 1980's- courtesy of RCModeler Magazine.

This July 1983 cover features a "state-of-the-art" Octura Wing Ding 60 outrigger powered by a Rossi R90 Marine, pushing an Octura 1967 prop.

Boat was built by Gary DeLara. Hardware custom fabricated by Art Hammond.

Image was taken at Woodward Park, California.

RCModelerMagazine_FrontCover_July1983_Reduced_02.jpg

Here is a stelleto from the past the white one is a copy I did about 8 years ago

Stilleto 001.jpg

Only 20+ years old. original Road Runner 67, 20 Mongoose and 80 A/S Cobra, fun times.
default_cool.png

That looks like a California Boat. They always had boats that were painted in awesome manners. Usually ran really well too.

David,

Thank you for sharing the picture. Gary Delara always had the coolest looking boats.

Now, holding his custom WingDing is his daughter, Gina Delara. At 16 she was my very first crush!! Oh man, I can still remember her walking around the pit area in her Jordache jeans!!!!
default_wub.png

Sadly, I was too shy as a kid to say much more then Hi to her........

Thanks again Cheers,

Will

'83 Coyote/K&B 3.5 poor mans Marine motor! Got my first trophy with this ol girl!! Another one on the left of the 40 Rigger...actually ran that boat until 06/07...slow, but had a nasty habit of finishing heats!boats 08 017.jpgboats 08 008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A few images from a January 1986 NAMBA, 2-Lap Record Trials, at Legg Lake, South El Monte Calif...

O'Donnell's Boss outrigger's. Jack Oxley record-breaking Prather Piranha.

BossHydro's_SteveOdonnell_LeggLake_Jan1986_Reduced_01.jpg

BossHydro's_SteveOdonnell_LeggLake_Jan1986_Reduced_02.jpg

Prather_Piranha_JackOxley_LeggLake_Jan1986_Reduced.jpg

Jack and Steve came out to Indy for the Hydro Masters with that boat. We had a sanctioned oval record trial the day before the Masters and Steve set the 40 oval record that day. Actually Gregg Huey set the 40 record and Steve broke it that same day. Those baby blue boats were really impressive. They were state of the art and had turn fin technology that nobody had seen before. Their boats looked like they speeded up in the turns. The boat was WAY before it's time. Got us Crapshooter guys working hard in the turn fin area after their visit.

Hey Marty, my Dad had an old 20 crapshooter with a lay down motor and I believe had a dovetail on the bottom of the front sponsons and it cornered pretty good, that was the start of light weight boats for us, running Huey's before that.

Haa so funny that you are talking about the Baby Blue rigger's. I remember seeing one them at one of Orlando's races back when I was bout 14 year's old. He/they had the first curved/angled turn fin that I had seen before...like Marty said she was bad fast in the turn back then for sure. Funny how some things stick in your memory. The Baby Blue I think helped

Mark:

Those lay down 20's were some of my very favorite boats. Looked really cool and worked well. I also had a 65 laydown that was one of my favorites. I have seen a picture of it on here sometime back. Was Black with Orange cowling and louvers. Ran well but didn't run as fast as it looked
default_smile.png

Stan:

Their turn fins were really trick. They were straight but had a flat bottom that was parallel with the bottom of the boat. They were angled in many degrees. Worked super. A little bit of problem in turning left even the slightest bit. They ran a football course so that they never had to turn left.

That got Ed Lackey, Gregg Huey and myself working on turn fins constantly after that. We made hundreds of fins until we cracked the code. Once we did, the game was on.... Lackey was the driving force behind that as I was in Indy with the cold winters and he could test all year.

Boy those pictures sure brought back some good memories..Yeah Gary De Lara hydro was something to see.I think it had every color in the rainbow..And it was real fast too.And so was Jack's Oxley ..We had many othere out here in Cal...

I remember watching the guys running back in Indy in the early 90's I was just about 21,.. couldn't even come close to affording a boat.. I was hooked though,.. year later I would be running there and never see another person..

Latest posts

Back