Vintage Hughey Boats - What Wood Was Used?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCapaldi

Supporting Member
I have an original blueprint to one of my early boats and was thinking of making one just for fun. The boat was a Hughey 20 rigger. It was considered the club boat for the Oakland RC Boat Club back in the day (Oxford, MI) and we would hold club races specifically for them. Same concept that I've seen some other clubs are doing (only a K&B 3.5 engine allowed, stock Hughey prop) and pretty much everyone in the club had one.

Does anyone know what that wood was that was used in the boat kits and possibly where I can get some from? It was a pain to work with but I want to recreate the boat as best I can. I have everything else from an original kit but will need to cut a center tub from the blueprints.

If anyone has one collecting dust and would like to part with it please let me know.
Thanks,
Chris Capaldi

I have an original blueprint to one of my early boats and was thinking of making one just for fun. The boat was a Hughey 20 rigger. It was considered the club boat for the Oakland RC Boat Club back in the day (Oxford, MI) and we would hold club races specifically for them. Same concept that I've seen some other clubs are doing (only a K&B 3.5 engine allowed, stock Hughey prop) and pretty much everyone in the club had one.

Does anyone know what that wood was that was used in the boat kits and possibly where I can get some from? It was a pain to work with but I want to recreate the boat as best I can. I have everything else from an original kit but will need to cut a center tub from the blueprints.

If anyone has one collecting dust and would like to part with it please let me know.
Thanks,
Chris Capaldi
Chris, Ed used 1/8" interior door skins on his kits. Don't know what veneer it was, but looked like mahogany.

Steve Ball

Just give me your address and I will send it to you. I would like to see it used. I have had it for many years. I think that it has dinosaur tracks on the box.
Charles

Chris call me. I have wood form ED. The stuff he used in his kits. About 20 sheets.

Kevin

Thanks,
Chris Capaldi

Chris I have several of his hand made props

Kevin, I do not have any more Hughey boats. I got this one in a trade, do not remember the details ???? ,when I lived in Los Angeles.

Chris, I will get the Hughey 20 rigger boxed and shipped to you next week, no charge.

Enjoy, Charles

Chris, I shipped the Hughey 21 rigger to you today by Priority Mail. It is SUPPOSED to arrive to you on thursday May 21.

Charles

Back