Urethane clear coating a scale hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting ready to clear coat my 92 Coors Dry. I plan to spray PPG Shop Line JC661 urethane. Does anyone know if this product can be safely reduced to shoot through an airbrush? I have a Grex brush with a 0.7mm fan cap tip. Just trying to figure a way to spray around a lot of complex surfaces and get a good result. Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• CD ready for clear.jpg
    CD ready for clear.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 85
First off. Beautiful Scale.

We used a Honey Badger Small sprayer along time ago and didn’t have any issues with just spraying it. Not using any reducer.

Practice on something other than your boat first. I would fallow the instructions about reducer. You can try it without, but not on your boat until you are happy with your results elsewhere.

I am getting ready to clear coat my 92 Coors Dry. I plan to spray PPG Shop Line JC661 urethane. Does anyone know if this product can be safely reduced to shoot through an airbrush? I have a Grex brush with a 0.7mm fan cap tip. Just trying to figure a way to spray around a lot of complex surfaces and get a good result. Any advice appreciated.

Hi Joe, What do you use to clean the spray gun? Paint thinner or something else?
Mike

I use lacquer thinner for clean up. The clear is pretty much done. I color sanded with 1000-1500-2000 and then 3000 grit paper. I then rubbed it out using the Norton Liquid Ice system and a DA polisher set a low rpm so as to not burn the clear. I had a few problem areas due to fish eyes but was able to sand out and touch up most of those spots. Lots of good info on YouTube if you are a novice painter like me.

Attachments

• color sand.jpg
    color sand.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 73
I use lacquer thinner for clean up. The clear is pretty much done. I color sanded with 1000-1500-2000 and then 3000 grit paper. I then rubbed it out using the Norton Liquid Ice system and a DA polisher set a low rpm so as to not burn the clear. I had a few problem areas due to fish eyes but was able to sand out and touch up most of those spots. Lots of good info on YouTube if you are a novice painter like me.
When you get the running hardware installed post a pic of rear end. I'm still working on tri wing with same transom. Love to see you setup. ;) Thanks

Awesome job Joe ! haven't painted any boats in a very long time.. how does urethane compare to k/b epoxy paint.. i used to paint the base / color coat in an automotive urethane base coat then topcoat / clear with the k / b epoxy... probably cant even get that any more

Joe

Joe,

Your Coors Dry in beautiful!!! Can't wait to see it on the water. Let me know when you have everything installed and will get it setup for it maiden voyage.

I don't think you can claim being a novice anymore :cool:
Hi Bert,
In racing no question your right!! In painting a boat its been at least 30 years.the last time I painted a boat I used Hobby Poxy Paint. I know nothing about today's paint which is why I'm going to have it done.;)

Back