U-Joint for solid shaft

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yves Laberge

i would like to know if u-joint for 3/16 solid shaft are still made for nitro engine (.45) and by ????

I believe it is justified in saying that this manufactured product, of a ball & pin universal, leaves a great deal to be desired! This simple two part mechanical design is a constant velocity joint, which when properly machined, will provide reliable transfer of the engine's torque & the propeller's thrust . All male & female pieces shown are made of AISI-O1 tool steel. All the pieces in the photos are interchangeable, have a total indicator runout of .0005", have full hard bearing surfaces & have very high wear resistance. The male ball ends are precision machined with a form tool or a convex radius tool. The balls & their 1/4'' necks are hardened, then tempered to a spring temper. The full hard M-2 steel drive pins are pressed into the balls with a .001" press fit. The female slotted ends are fully hardened only in the areas where the drive pins ride. I also adapted the ball ends to fit on the engines flywheel of both my gas & nitro engines. The small washers provide a hardened surface for the ball ends to ride against when the propellers thrust is driven up into the engines bearings. A splined set screw (Bristol Screw) with a machined point & a machined cavity in the shafts prevented any failures in these areas.

Jim Allen

Attachments

• P7160001.jpg
    P7160001.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 61
  • P7160003.jpg
    P7160003.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 60
  • P7160004.jpg
    P7160004.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 56
  • P7160007.jpg
    P7160007.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 57
  • P3280014.JPG
    P3280014.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
There is probably little friction in the drive line compared to cable but a lot more parts to fail. It would be quite costly for all the machining and hardening going into the parts

Brad

The Octura stuff is inexpensive enough that if you wear it out, just replace it.. While I appreciate the amount of effort Jim puts into his stuff, it seems like a lot of work for no significant gain over the off the shelf parts. Yeah, his stuff is no doubt dimensionally superior and better materials, but it's not going into low earth orbit, just an RC boat. I would use his talents in the engine building, I think he's going to show more bang for the buck there.

Back