two new builds completed over the winter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John MacLean

A couple of rc friends talked me into doing the build thing this winter. They'd been at the hobby since the 80's I think. One of them has a JAE12 nitro that he was running when I first met him a couple of years ago and I knew that it would be a boat I wanted to own in the future. He shot me the public domain plans for the JAE21 in the fall and I just dropped it in the water this weekend for the first time. Had some issues with the servo mount that came loose . . . Did I say that I was new to building? Oh yeah. . . that's right I did. Anyway it was a relatively minor repair. The boat seemed to want to run okay otherwise. I am sticking to 4s setups on all my boats, primarily to keep the cost down. I have four sv27's, one running on UL-1 power and the other three on stock sv setups. The rigger has a Turnigy 3665 4 pole motor, T-120 marine ESC and Hitec servo. Really looking forward to seeing this boat run well.

My other friend showed up last season with a 29 inch wildthing that he had scratch built and converted to electric. The thing is crazy fast and I was impressed by the build quality. He talked me into building a Redtail Kneeler that he was considering building himself. That boat saw its secondouting this past weekend as well. It has been an impressive first couple of runs an I'm really looking forward to getting it dialed in.

Kneeler setup:

3674 Tacon motor

Tunigy 120 marine ESC

Hitec servo

4s 5000 mah Zippy Flightmax

REK lower unit

Love this new aspect of the hobby. . . so far.

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-04-22-20h34m35s182.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. It was my first build and way more work than I expected but very satisfying. Now I'm looking at improvements that could be made with the way the hatches are fastened down, particularly the forward compartment that I need to access after every run. Don't know what I was thinking using all those machine screws. I''l probably switch to some kind of lip for the front of the hatch and stick to a couple of screws for the rear and rely on taping to keep it water tight.

Back