Two antenna receivers?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Gonna try a two antenna FrSky receiver, I read that they should be as far apart as possible and 90* to each other.

Anybody getting both of them out of the radio box? Is it worth doing? Was thinking about putting a 400 mm antenna on one side and running it out as usual and leaving the other in the box. From what I read the receiver picks the best signal between the two?

Any of you radio guys wanna chime in?

I have the receiver mounted to the lid with Velcro One antenna up the tube the other taped to he lid with 3m tape. In range check mode I can go over 300 ft. with no problems, other then a "range warning beep" (which gives the operator plenty of warning) I am not sure the longer antennas will fit in our standard size antenna mask. Sooo I did not try them. Running the old style telemetry receiver... no clue on the model number as I write this.

I run one up in a short mast and leave the other it the radio box. The last inch or so needs to be straight. I prefer the right side of the boat for the one laying down. Also keeping it as far away as possible from any metal or carbon fiber.

With the carbon hull it would be a good idea to run one outside the box and tape the other to the lid. I have run them in all my boats and use the Tranis 9 radio and short antennas and have not had radio problems as long as things stay dry.

Brad

Sounds like I'm on the right track, there seems to be a couple of 400 mm antennas for them, one has some sort of tube at the top and the other doesn't:

https://www.gravesrc.com/frsky-receiver-antenna-400mm-40cm.html

https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=FRSRXANT400

My hull is CF but the radio lid is just glass so taping the internal ant to lid is a good idea, thanks!
Please post if you manage to get 400 mm antenna thru the standard tube/mast. They looked big on the Aloft website.

Went to my LHS and the FrSky unit had the large chunk on the end, guy said it would be toast if you took it off.

So I'm gonna use a Futaba brand 400 mm, supposed to be interchangeable...

I have the frsky in 3 hulls 2 nitro and 1 gas,,twin antenna worked perfect even when 1 antenna broke off..and half the cost a original futaba...the black frysky are better than the orange ones in my opinion..bit better built.

Last edited:
Stole a 400 mm antenna off one of my FASST rx's, fit right on.

The service center is out of them but expect another shipment next week. They seem to be very popular all of a sudden...:D

the technical term is diversity receiver. meant to improve reception reliability in cases where reflections and multi-path can cause issues.

the one with a "tube" is a dipole antenna. the little unshielded wire stub is one pole, and the insulated tube is the other pole. it's used to tune the directionality of the antenna.

Stole a 400 mm antenna off one of my FASST rx's, fit right on.

The service center is out of them but expect another shipment next week. They seem to be very popular all of a sudden...:D

Terry Prop Shop Hobbies in Centerline Michigan did have the antennas is stock awhile back when I checked.
586-757-7160 ask for Matt

the one with a "tube" is a dipole antenna. the little unshielded wire stub is one pole, and the insulated tube is the other pole. it's used to tune the directionality of the antenna.

Why would we need to do that?

Where you been Terry..ha
Been popular for years

You probably didn't catch my sarcasm being from the other side of the world and all. Some very experienced guys here had issues with the stock short antennas, Futaba USA is now recommending to switch to the long units to get the tip away from the water, pipe, CF parts etc. The tech I spoke to said they sold the last batch of 100 they got in less than a week...

Terry Prop Shop Hobbies in Centerline Michigan did have the antennas is stock awhile back when I checked.
586-757-7160 ask for Matt

Thanks! Will try them.

The main thing for me ( I still run short antennas) with a boat install is make sure the tip is a minimum of 2 inches away/above any metal or carbon/conductor. This info came from an electronics mfgr. who conducted extensive testing in the lab and in the r/c field.

The main thing for me ( I still run short antennas) with a boat install is make sure the tip is a minimum of 2 inches away/above any metal or carbon/conductor. This info came from an electronics mfgr. who conducted extensive testing in the lab and in the r/c field.

You might want to have another look at that, especially with your twin.

I know of one very experienced racer (Futaba sponsored) that had his 60 hydro go into the bank.

Again, Futaba is recommending the long antenna. :)

Back