Twin mongoose circa 1992

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw several Mongoose twins race at the 1990 Sarasota Nats. That year Tom Pretzfield’s Coyote twin 90 was the fastest , 80 mph and the water was rough when he ran. Art Mcmeans raced the presidents twin that could not make the race , Doug McNelly’s twin Mongoose . Held the water good and turned well. Jeff Lutz

Last edited:
I saw several Mongoose twins race at the 1990 Sarasota Nats. That year Tom Pretzfield’s Coyote twin 90 was the fastest , 80 mph and the water was rough when he ran. But Art Mcmeans raced the presidents twin that could not make the race , Doug McNelly’s twin Mongoose and won F hydro US1 with it. Held the water good and turned well. Jeff Lutz
Pretzfield was fast but seldom finished. I was at those nats and watched Andy beat this boat pictured.

Last edited:
Nothing turned like a mongoose. It revolutionized riggers. Cats could win a lot of hydro classes until the mongoose showed up.

Very cool. My twin 90 was all yellow when I bought I and I sprayed the cowl and sponsons black. 22lbs of get out of the way. Lmao

Not if you were in Michigan, those **** cats were nothing but moving “bouys”!!!!
I used to win a lot down here with a 67 cat and beat some really solid guys. Me and Swenson had some epic 67 hydro heats and then raced our vans home. Lmao

Very cool. My twin 90 was all yellow when I bought I and I sprayed the cowl and sponsons black. 22lbs of get out of the way. Lmao
My Rossi 80 Twin that Ron Logghe layed up using a composite of quarter sawn red cedar for the rails, Kevlar and carbon for the rest came in at 14-1/2 lbs wet with 36 Oz of fuel. It was a very good race boat.

Yup! Lucky for sure! If I had known I’d live this long I’d taken better care of my self!
John, your a spunky guy , I don’t know your exact age but I have a good idea. I hope I’m racing as you are when I’m older ! I ordered some of the light weight battery/switch retainer clips you showed me. They are awesome ! Jeff Lutz

Still have my twin mongoose that was originally powered with 4 bolt head silver CMB's... then repowered with the black and gold ones a few years later...

man,,,, Art Mcmeans and tidewater... haven't heard those names in a long time...those were the good ole days !!!
Engines, parts,, boats,,nitro flowed like water... Tidewater was a one stop shop for everything!!

Running in Houston, and with the Southern gentleman,, such good times!!.
I may or may not know how a big texas flag appeared in the trees across the lake of the SG pond one year.... or how their nice new gate sign disappeared and was held hostage for a year....
and how random photos of the sign in different locations were mailed to the club with hostage notes !!!
It was good times and great racing !!

Still have my twin mongoose that was originally powered with 4 bolt head silver CMB's... then repowered with the black and gold ones a few years later...

man,,,, Art Mcmeans and tidewater... haven't heard those names in a long time...those were the good ole days !!!
Engines, parts,, boats,,nitro flowed like water... Tidewater was a one stop shop for everything!!

Running in Houston, and with the Southern gentleman,, such good times!!.
I may or may not know how a big texas flag appeared in the trees across the lake of the SG pond one year.... or how their nice new gate sign disappeared and was held hostage for a year....
and how random photos of the sign in different locations were mailed to the club with hostage notes !!!
It was good times and great racing !!
Yeah,Tidewater was dearly missed when it closed.Ill never forget Sandy callin' me darlin' or Bobby talking hot rods.One time Art took the race motor out of his boat and sent it to me! Yeah my scale boat won that weekend.Bobby,Sandy and Art's boat shop will never be forgotten...

Back