Tunnel hull design and tech advancement !

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Hi all i built a Dunlap D-27 tunnel around 2003 raced it with a O.S .21 XM stock set up very competitive at the time recently in 2017 converted it to p-spec with UL-1 motor on 4s , In 2008 i built The Dunlap 30 inch W.O.F set up for FE 4s full p 3674 2200 kv and 6s with a 4082 1600 kv a real hand full at 60 mph both hulls never had ride pads installed. The first hull Jerry designed around 2000 the second somewhere around 04. My question here is has tunnel hull design changed a whole lot over the last 16 yrs ! I have not seen any new plans or kits since that time period . I am keeping a close eye on the new Zippkits tunnel. Regards Andris Golts

Hello Riggerman. I am not sure where you are from but you have certainly missed out on the advances made in the last 16 years. If you like building wood boats I suggest that you buy that new ZipKit boat that has just been finished and maybe post some build pictures to put here on IW. Also when you race it let us know how you do.
-Carl

i also built a dunlap 27, had a full mod klunk and bang on it. ran about 45 mph on calm water. it was a good boat and put a lot of hours on it, currently running a dragon 33'' with a sorgente nova rossi 21. the tunnell that they are testing looks good and if its got geraty pedigree in it so hopefully we can test it soon. im with carl on the fact that ob tunnell design has come a long way

Thanks for the replies to the both of you gentlemen. Carl i live in Burlinton Ontario 1 hour south of Toronto i raced with Ontario fast electric club and Metro marine modelers fast electric division and for nitro boats i raced with the Northern lights club. Regards Andris Golts.

The introduction of hulls from designers like Carl, Kris Flynn, the Junkers, Mike Z, Bill Briton and a multitude of other smaller, local designers over the last twenty have brought tunnels fairly far along. Leecrafts, namely the XT460, still today can be competitive hulls.
Advancements in propellers and better outboard engines as a whole have really shot heat racing speeds through the roof. Show up to an outboard race and you’d be pretty surprised how quick these things are now.
With Novarossi appearing stable for the time being, and work from other designs to create less orthodox outboards, such as the upside down CMB, the hobby will greatly benefit from more tunnel hulls becoming available. The 21 class is fairly set with the Lynx and Taboo from Carl, the Vision sold by ML boat works, and that Aussie dragon when they appear from their lair 🐲. 45 sized hulls are where some more options would be great, hopefully a couple projects start to rear their head and advance as well as the 21’s have.

Don’t get me started on those gas behemoths that seem to be taking the districts by storm!

i also built a dunlap 27, had a full mod klunk and bang on it. ran about 45 mph on calm water. it was a good boat and put a lot of hours on it, currently running a dragon 33'' with a sorgente nova rossi 21. the tunnell that they are testing looks good and if its got geraty pedigree in it so hopefully we can test it soon. im with carl on the fact that ob tunnell design has come a long way

Klunk and bang....... now that's funny...never heard them referred to that way before.. 🤣

Klunk and bang....... now that's funny...never heard them referred to that way before.. 🤣
ohyea, the guys would laugh at me with that motor, always a comment; how do you keep it together? , my buddy had a 5 gal bucket of k&b parts, when the parts were all used up i bought my first nova rossi. with the help of brian sorgente he keeps everything in working order for me

Back