TS2 kibbles and bits

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a run today with my TS2. Experimented with the nose weight and engine thrust/prop height. Still could not get rid of the bouncing at low to mid speeds. Some settings were slightly better but not much. As soon as the speed got up to the point where the lift is mostly aerodynamic it went just fine without any bouncing at all. So except for the hooking in tight turns, I have no problems at higher speeds. (I will install the recovery pads which hopefully will solve the hooking problem).

I removed the head shim about 5 mins ago. It will be interesting to see how much difference it will make on the next run.

About my cavitation problem I mensioned earlier... Never mind, it was because of the 1440 prop :p It works great without any cavitation now with the X440. :D

But just out of curiousity... How do I modify the 1440 to work with the TS2? What exactly is "backcutting" and "cupping" a prop and how do I do this? Any links to some detailed info?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a run today with my TS2. Experimented with the nose weight and engine thrust/prop height. Still could not get rid of the bouncing at low to mid speeds. Some settings were slightly better but not much. As soon as the speed got up to the point where the lift is mostly aerodynamic it went just fine without any bouncing at all. So except for the hooking in tight turns, I have no problems at higher speeds. (I will install the recovery pads which hopefully will solve the hooking problem).

I removed the head shim about 5 mins ago. It will be interesting to see how much difference it will make on the next run.

About my cavitation problem I mensioned earlier... Never mind, it was because of the 1440 prop :p It works great without any cavitation now with the X440. :D

But just out of curiousity... How do I modify the 1440 to work with the TS2? What exactly is "backcutting" and "cupping" a prop and how do I do this? Any links to some detailed info?
Just order one of Mark Sholund (SHOBOAT) save yourself the drama.

Regards

Mark

Good info Greg! Thanks.

Our final testing was done on 50%, SPP NR21OB w.290" stinger.

Also, I helped set up another TS2 on the weekend. Stock OS less headshim. Props4U 40x53 with 3.6" cup

No weight at all in the nose. about 120 grams in front of the fuel tank, Nuetral trim angle, adjusted motor height up until porpoising started then backed it down a tad. Handles great and was fast.... well for a stocker anyway!

Tim

Thomas

Just sent an email with prop info about cupping, pitching etc.

My advise, same as Mark -theringwah2002- contac Mark Sholund for a 1440, or Andy Brown.

Ronald.

Good info Greg! Thanks.

Our final testing was done on 50%, SPP NR21OB w.290" stinger.

Also, I helped set up another TS2 on the weekend. Stock OS less headshim. Props4U 40x53 with 3.6" cup

No weight at all in the nose. about 120 grams in front of the fuel tank, Nuetral trim angle, adjusted motor height up until porpoising started then backed it down a tad. Handles great and was fast.... well for a stocker anyway!

Tim
Cool. Did you install the recovery pads on it?

120g right in front of the fuel tank, will that take away some of the bouncing? I will try your setup the next time out and see if it also works on my TS2. I don't have the 40x53 prop, but it's worth a shot anyway.

Pulsetech, thanks for the link.

By the way, I find the info on the prop-cutting site a little hard to interpret, the pics are not real photos but just hand-drawn sketches.

Anyone who would like to post a pic of a 1440 backcut for the TS2? Any other backcut prop would also work, just so I get the idea, but it's the 1440 I'm gonna try it on first.

There is more to the 1440 than back cutting it. It needs cupping in the right spot to kill off the lift it generates. A job for a prop guy - or you will never get your boat working right with it. Best to set it up with a "known prop".

Another thing to consider - almost all tunnel hulls will develop some sort of bounce at some speeds. The thing is to set the boat up so it's manageable. Don't beat yourself up too much if it has a slight bounce at low speeds! It's if it's at full speed that it becomes annoying!

Not sure if pads were fitted or not. Wasn't my boat. Sorry.

3.6" cup Jerry - it came from Mr Sholund.

Another nice prop on TS2's with stock OS's is the 1440 with 3.15" cup.

I thought I heard from the dist 8 bunch that the Mark A. 1440 had much less cup

than that, somewhere in the 2.6 to 2.9 area for the super stock OS.

?? An electric powered Top Speed 2 ?!? :blink:

What kind of motor do you think he have mounted on it?

Hey I just dropped by to say HI... Glad you're working on your TS2 thomas.... How's everything going Jerry..

Unfortunately I haven't got a chance to use the TS2.... I went to the lake the other day and ran it a little bit but there was too much algae in that area.... + a lot of rainy weekends.... I'll search again this weekend and see what happens...

Hey Javier :D , same ol' stuff with me. I do allot better when I stay off this topic though :lol:

Nice to hear from ya :)

JW

I want my TS2 to go faster. How much would a pipe make a difference in speed for the OS engine? Is there any pipe in particular that anyone would like to recommend for the OS? And are there pipes I should stay away from?

A pipe on the O.S. should provide 3 - 4 mph more - I'll let you figure out the kpm speed increase. :)

The Silver Bullit from HTB Boats and the Cooper 3.5 OB pipe are both good pipes. You will need to get a header to connect the tuned pipe to the engine. I'm not sure who is making headers for the O.S.

JD

Thanks Jerry, I also read on another forum that you are using the Silver Bullit HP. Aren't you using an OS on your TS2? Where did you find the header you are using?

A pipe on the O.S. should provide 3 - 4 mph more - I'll let you figure out the kpm speed increase. :)

The Silver Bullit from HTB Boats and the Cooper 3.5 OB pipe are both good pipes. You will need to get a header to connect the tuned pipe to the engine. I'm not sure who is making headers for the O.S.

Jim Irwin provided the header for my O.S.

JD

Back