Top Speed 2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collins1172

Okay. I finally finished my Top Speed 2. I ran it today for the first time. It was plowing bad. I trimmed it up about 2 degrees. This was much better but still plowed a little at times so i lowered the out drive. This helped quite a bit but the TS2 was riding high on the nose. I checked the center of gravity and its right around 10 and 1/2 inches from the stern. I think it is supposed to be 9 and 1/2. Can someone confirm this please?

I could tell it wanted to go. I just need to dial it in. After a 6 minute run the ESC was just a little warm and the motor wasnt hot at all. I did punch it from dead in the water and the boat leaped almost completely out of the water. Very COOL. When i get her dialed in ill get a video posted.

I can move the battery back a little more and move my reciever battery back and that should fix the COG problem. I hope.

The set up: UL-1 Motor-4s 4000 pack-100amp esc-Prop is 2mm below bottom of sponson with approximately 2-3 degrees up angle-octura 438 prop.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved the COG back to 9 and 1/2 inches. Ran the boat. Had some porpoising. Changed the angle of trim back to 0. The boat is fast. really really fast. I think i need to cut the prop down or something. After a 6 minute run the battery and motor are a little warm. The esc is about 135 degrees F. I need to take out some of the steering because i spun out once. The boat still wants to porpoise a little at higher speeds. Not sure what to do about it. It is really fast. I never went past 3/4 throttle.

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moved the COG back to 9 and 1/2 inches. Ran the boat. Had some porpoising. Changed the angle of trim back to 0. The boat is fast. really really fast. I think i need to cut the prop down or something. After a 6 minute run the battery and motor are a little warm. The esc is about 135 degrees F. I need to take out some of the steering because i spun out once. The boat still wants to porpoise a little at higher speeds. Not sure what to do about it. It is really fast. I never went past 3/4 throttle.

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heres a short video.

Brad

Looking good Brad.

You should be able to go to a 440 or X640 with no worries, but run time goes down a little.

Kris

Looking good Brad.

You should be able to go to a 440 or X640 with no worries, but run time goes down a little.

Kris

Kris,

Thanks. I am not able to go full throttle on the 438. Am i doing something wrong? I will try to raise the lower unit a couple of mm. Should i give a little more negative on the lower unit? Thanks

Brad

Are the stumble blocks installed?

My TS-2 is disassembled now, but I'm pretty sure my outdrive had a few degrees of negative trim, and the centerline of the prop shaft was approximately 1/8th of an inch above the sponson line. It's important to use the setup stand each time you make adjustments.

I use a UL-1 motor and an X442 that was detongued and back-cut. Another popular prop is the X440/3, but it will require outdrive setting adjustments to get it right.

Looking at the video, IMO a little more negative would have helped settle it down in the straights, but it still seems a bit unpredictable in the turns.

Are the stumble blocks installed?

My TS-2 is disassembled now, but I'm pretty sure my outdrive had a few degrees of negative trim, and the centerline of the prop shaft was approximately 1/8th of an inch above the sponson line. It's important to use the setup stand each time you make adjustments.

I use a UL-1 motor and an X442 that was detongued and back-cut. Another popular prop is the X440/3, but it will require outdrive setting adjustments to get it right.

Looking at the video, IMO a little more negative would have helped settle it down in the straights, but it still seems a bit unpredictable in the turns.
Yes the stumble blocks are installed. The outdrive is a little low. Im even with the bottom of the sponsons. I will raise a bit and add a little more negative.

The steering was a little touchy. This is what ive done......I set DR from 100% to 70%. Also added 40% expo. I hope this helps. It spins out way to easy. Ill let you guys know how it works out. Hopefully get another video.

Any other ideas to help out????

Brad

Get a Vision 20 LOL Sorry I couldn't Help it.

I never set up a TS2 so I cannot help. But raising the prop may help.

Hard to tell anything about your setup due to the water conditions...

Get a Vision 20 LOL Sorry I couldn't Help it.

I never set up a TS2 so I cannot help. But raising the prop may help.

Hard to tell anything about your setup due to the water conditions...

Hey Kris,

Where do you set your prop shaft? And those conditions were grueling. 20 mph winds. chop. etc. It was fun though.

Brad

Brad the TS2 will always bounce.. It's a trait that the have...

Blue print the sponsons and try the bottom of the bullet on the leg at about 1/8th above the sponsons... Adjust from there.

Try bigger props try props with back cut.. you should be able to tame the bounce down so it's predictable but I doubt it will go away...

Brad the TS2 will always bounce.. It's a trait that the have...

Blue print the sponsons and try the bottom of the bullet on the leg at about 1/8th above the sponsons... Adjust from there.

Try bigger props try props with back cut.. you should be able to tame the bounce down so it's predictable but I doubt it will go away...

What do you mean by blueprint? Are there any directions? Thanks

Brad

Hi brad

go to our club web sitehttp://www.modelboatclubofnsw.com/ go to the downloads tab and select blue printing sponsons.

That should get you going.

Hi brad

go to our club web sitehttp://www.modelboatclubofnsw.com/ go to the downloads tab and select blue printing sponsons.

That should get you going.
Sweet. Nice site. That answered the question and ill be taking a look at mine very soon. Thanks again

Brad

Well i put the new speed controller in. Sea King 90 Amp. The timing is at 15 cause i havent figured out how to set it to 8. Ran the boat today with the lower unit much higher. 5mm above the bottom of the sponsons and 3 degrees negative. Boat ran fantastic but not as fast as before. I think the motor timin is the cause because the motor came back hotter than it ever has. Ill work on changing the timing. What do you guys think? Ill see about some video next time also.

yes, the motor will be hotter with the timing set higher. you should check the calibration of the throtle because from my experience the higher timing will produce a higher rpm or speed. usually the timing is a relationship of power to run time. not all motors can handle higher settings but i think a ul-1 should be around 10 degrees. i have had probles with turnigy (or seaking, they are the same esc's with different branding) esc's not giving full throtle. i had a seaking 180 that with the same timing setting as a castle 240 ran about 4-5 mph slower in a ul-1 with 8xl. all the settings were identical, it just didnt deliver the same power. i gave up on the turnigy esc's, had a 120 in my rigger that didnt preform near as good as the stock ul-1 controler. if i wouldn't have done side by side comparisons i would still think they were good but i have had 2 that just didnt deliver.

yes, the motor will be hotter with the timing set higher. you should check the calibration of the throtle because from my experience the higher timing will produce a higher rpm or speed. usually the timing is a relationship of power to run time. not all motors can handle higher settings but i think a ul-1 should be around 10 degrees. i have had probles with turnigy (or seaking, they are the same esc's with different branding) esc's not giving full throtle. i had a seaking 180 that with the same timing setting as a castle 240 ran about 4-5 mph slower in a ul-1 with 8xl. all the settings were identical, it just didnt deliver the same power. i gave up on the turnigy esc's, had a 120 in my rigger that didnt preform near as good as the stock ul-1 controler. if i wouldn't have done side by side comparisons i would still think they were good but i have had 2 that just didnt deliver.

I think you are right. Although i could not go beyond 2/3 throttle i could still tell that the esc doesnt have as much power as my last esc. I think the waves are causing most of my problems. Any thoughts????

Brad

I think you are right. Although i could not go beyond 2/3 throttle i could still tell that the esc doesnt have as much power as my last esc. I think the waves are causing most of my problems. Any thoughts????

That's some pretty choppy water conditions.

JD

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OgVlmeSk0hc

Brad
That's some pretty choppy water conditions.

JD
Thanks for the confirmation. Im gonna have to find some calm water. That was actually on the bay side of Corpus Christi Bay. There were some calmer waters on the other side but its a preserve and you can get a ticket for running in there.

Brad

I ran the TS2 again today with no changes and the boat ran fantastic. Only difference was a light ripple on the surface of the water. I actually held it wide open until i came to the turns. Eased off the throttle into the turns. No bad tendencies what so ever. It was a completely different boat. And it was smokin fast. Although the esc still feels like it doesnt have the power the old one had. Considering going up in prop now. What would you all reccommend? Sorry no video. My videographer is in school. Ill try for more video another time. Its good to know its set up properly though. Thanks to all you guys.

Brad

Back