Thick Epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraysonTaylor

Supporting Member
Way back, Hobbypoxy made a thick jelly like epoxy that came in cans. Anything out there these days that's simular? "Fixit" is a clay like epoxy that is good but I just wanted options. I'm not a fan of Micro Balloons unless gravity is on my side.

Last edited:
I don't like micro balloon either. But adding Cabosil will make the epoxy thixotropic. I mix Cabosil to the epoxy when I attach the deck to the hull. If I did not, the epoxy will not stay on the 1/8" formers

If your adding thickener microballons if you want to sand,cabosil for fillets and milled fibers for making a secure joint like adding decks. All of these add weight some more than others. West g flex is awesome for building skeletons and joints

I also will add a thickener that is structural rather than microballoons. I use colloidal silica, West filler 106 to be exact, other wise known as chopped up fiberglass fibers. As Mikey said, you have to use this with care as it does add weight

I have used Evercoat for all my builds. It's a 1 to 1 mix and lays out a nice bead with a plastic syringe. It's an overnight drying time, gets absorbed well. I'm in no hurry and never use CA on my builds.shopping.png

Mark nailed it ^^
Colodial silica is ideal as a thickener that does not reduce strength, and works equally well in any epoxy.
My go-to epoxy for construction is West's G-flex for it's 1 to 1 simplicity and slightly thicker consistency as compared to others, but it'll run out too without an additive.
Buy a big can of 106 from West Systems and you'll build happily for years.

I don't like micro balloon either. But adding Cabosil will make the epoxy thixotropic. I mix Cabosil to the epoxy when I attach the deck to the hull. If I did not, the epoxy will not stay on the 1/8" formers
Kez,

Curious..... Why don't you like microballons? I use them all the time (at least I DID when I was building a lot). I love them.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Kez,

Curious..... Why don't you like microballons? I use them all the time (at least I DID when I was building a lot). I love them.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Hi Brad,
Micro balloon is phenolic resin. It sands easily and it is good for forming fillets. But it is weak. Also, unless you mix a lot of it, the epoxy/balloon mix will flow while it sets.
Cabosil is colloidal silica. It is much stronger and it makes the epoxy thixotropic. I use it to attach the deck or the epoxy will not stay on the edge of the formers. Years ago when I build balsa sheeted foam wings, the manufacturers recommended against mixing micro balloon but use Cabosil instead. I should add that Cabosil or micro balloon add practically no weight.
K

West Systems G-flex Thickened Epoxy is what your looking for, comes in tubes not bottles and works great! 👍🏻

Attachments

• 258528CF-FDF6-4E91-9AF6-9DA79C5CA999.png
    258528CF-FDF6-4E91-9AF6-9DA79C5CA999.png
    2 MB · Views: 6
Kez,

I use them almost exclusively to reinforce joints that are already glued and to "slope" where I'm going to overlay with glass or CF fabric. Most often under the cowl lip and around the footing for the stuffing tube. This make for an extremely strong wood-wood joint, and adds virtually zero weight.

I mix enough microballons in to the epoxy so that it won't hardly flow at all, although, I always position the work so that gravity ensures it stays where I want it. It's about the consistency of peanut butter. With the wood pre-wetted with clear epoxy (no MB), the MB mix adheres very well.

I've always considered it a virtually weightless filler, not a thickener, turning the epoxy into somewhat of a foam.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros

Back