The Wild Thing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airagestore.com still sell the 21 WILD Thing plan for around $20, then you can take the plan to a copier place and get it re-sized to what you want, I did that originally for a 45 size before ML Boatworks had the laser cut kits

The original boat is built so that the sides of the boat extend past the bottom of the boat and then a fillet is made on the extended edge forming a strake on the chine line. The strake adds strength to the chine line but also acts as a water spray deflector to keep water from climbing up the side of the boat during a turn. Most people sand the sides to match the bottom. I have not tried the boat without the outside strakes. When I set the quarter mile oval record in the electric class I can't help but believe the strake gripped the water well in the turns so the boat could whip the sharp turn along with the aid of the turnfin. I have not however tried the boat without the strake.

looking at those Air age plans reminded me of when i used the get the rc boat modeler magazine. that's what actually got me into racing. i used to look forward to getting those. It was their coverage of a race in grant park NY that lead me to meet a fellow named Jack dittia here in ny and got me going racing in Namba D1.got to meet a lot of nice folks and made a few friends and raced quite a bit just from that publication.
hey henry, race there for a long time and miss those guys! tell jack i would like my dam photo album back!! it's only been 25 years....:confused: mike..:D

Latest posts

Back