The old wing subject revisited!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimD

Hey guys,

I know we talked about wings before after Jerry's article in RCBM, but I had an idea in my head while working on my rigger and want to know if it is worth trying or if anyone else has tried it.

Here goes - on the rear of the Eagle SG's there are "winglets" and the SG instructions stress the importance of having them at the correct angle. this winglet is not very wide but is reasonably long. Could this style of winglet be mounted to the sides of the cowl on a tunnel and how long should they be. I think about 1 inch would be wide enough. This type of wing would not produce much drag and by being narrow would be less likely to act like a sail if the trim got outta shape.

Any idea's, thoughts, criticism's????

Tim.

This is something that Grimracer could address. I saw his tunnel last year with winglets on the front cowl. Mike, any comments?

Ed Radz

Dudes

"BUSTED"

Your right Ed i run wings on my Villain S1. They are very narow and unlike others do not upset the lift of the center section of the hull. Then again most tunnel boats do not use the center section for lift!!

Tim, your right wings are drag. Its a ballance of down force -vrs-drag. The wings I use are 3" long plastic chanels 1/4" wide, that mount on the nose of the cowl. See main picture on my website www.grimracer.com

Rock on

Grimracer

Hey Grim,

Yeah, I've seen the pic's of your winglets B4!

I was thinking of longer ones with less angle - maybe about 5 inches or so and about 10 degrees.

Did you try anything like this on your villain testing?

Tim

I tried a few different sizes but settled on the 3" units.

I'm sure that longer would work, however just remember why an F-16 fly's so well. You could add lift if your not careful.

Grimracer

Hey Grim,

Thanks for sharing the info! One LESS thing to test!

Tim.

Latest posts

Back