texas cut.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old history, I did the first texas cut for an A mono prop for Jack Thompson of Katy, Texas probably in the late 80's or early 90's. It was done to help unload the prop via reducing the blade area. The Texas cut was done to the Octura X series of props and the cut had about the same lift but slightly less. I did so many of this cut I couldn't begin to count them. In every size and class. I don't have any props with me down here in FL to take pictures of but when I get back to Michigan in April I'll be glad to post some.

John
Actually the first time I heard of a Texas cut prop was in the late 70's when JG came out with the JG E20-T prop.....That was a very popular A-OPC prop in NAMBA stock racing...

The first Octura "X" prop I remember was in 1982 and that was the X445.....

I used that X445 to set the NAMBA "A" OPC SAW record in the spring of 1983.....Prior to that time I was a big E20T user.......

Glenn was right...the cut is off the leading edge of the JG E20 prop.........Here is a photo of a JG E20T....

I am sitting here with a 2 pound + sack of JG props......That gives away how old I am.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Beardslee, I delvered two SS props to you 20 years ago from a twin I ran up on the beach while racing Mark Vidosh in London Ont. Was wondering if you had repaired them yet.

Thanks

Ken

004.JPGHere are a few "Texas Cuts" that came from Los Angeles in the late 70's. One is an I-25X, one other is another JG prop, that I cannot identify and the other three are Octura 1750's. The 1750 props are the ones that we won the District 19 championship, the District 9/19 challenge race and the NAMBA Nationals in 1981 in Amirillo, Texas with. Each one had a slightly different cut , front and back for different lakes and different water conditions.

Jimmy Gale and I were friends. Who influenced who on these props, I do not remember. Maybe Don Maher will chime in, he is the model boating historian, for the west coast anyway.

Charles

Hi Terry,

I saw Ron Logghe in September, unfortunately it was at his son Dan's memorial, Dan crashed his heli (R-44) on the way up to hunting camp. When I retired from education in 1998, I went right to work as an engineer for Logghe stamping and worked with them until December of 2007. Another guy was killed in the crash also, he took over my job when I retired. Ron and his brother Gene were both inducted into the NHRA hall of fame in June of 2006 and last into the Michigan motor sports hall of fame as well. I taught Gene to fly R/C heli's when he was 70 years old. He loves them and has a bunch. Ron has parkinsons and can't speak anymore. Jerry Betke was at Dan's memorial also, I touch base with him now and then. Of course those guys are alot older than I am!!!! I was at a flying club picnic in Galord, MI a few Septembers ago and ran into Joe Katrow, he was learning to fly fixed wing r/c planes and had brought one of his riggers out to show the club. He had know idea I'd be there, the boat had a "Texas Cut" prop on it. Small world.

John
Good to hear from you John, sorry about Ron's suffering. :(

We still run record trials at Thread Lake and a couple of races a year in London, maybe see you one of these times... :)

Hi Terry,

I saw Ron Logghe in September, unfortunately it was at his son Dan's memorial, Dan crashed his heli (R-44) on the way up to hunting camp. When I retired from education in 1998, I went right to work as an engineer for Logghe stamping and worked with them until December of 2007. Another guy was killed in the crash also, he took over my job when I retired. Ron and his brother Gene were both inducted into the NHRA hall of fame in June of 2006 and last into the Michigan motor sports hall of fame as well. I taught Gene to fly R/C heli's when he was 70 years old. He loves them and has a bunch. Ron has parkinsons and can't speak anymore. Jerry Betke was at Dan's memorial also, I touch base with him now and then. Of course those guys are alot older than I am!!!! I was at a flying club picnic in Galord, MI a few Septembers ago and ran into Joe Katrow, he was learning to fly fixed wing r/c planes and had brought one of his riggers out to show the club. He had know idea I'd be there, the boat had a "Texas Cut" prop on it. Small world.

John
Good to hear from you John, sorry about Ron's suffering. :(

We still run record trials at Thread Lake and a couple of races a year in London, maybe see you one of these times... :)
It's not far from our place in Sugar Springs to Flint or maybe to the race in Saginaw.

John

Mr Beardslee, I delvered two SS props to you 20 years ago from a twin I ran up on the beach while racing Mark Vidosh in London Ont. Was wondering if you had repaired them yet.

Thanks

Ken
Hi Ken,

Please accept my apology! It was a busy time, but I won't offer any excuses for not taking care of customers, sorry is all I can say.

View attachment 33977Here are a few "Texas Cuts" that came from Los Angeles in the late 70's. One is an I-25X, one other is another JG prop, that I cannot identify and the other three are Octura 1750's. The 1750 props are the ones that we won the District 19 championship, the District 9/19 challenge race and the NAMBA Nationals in 1981 in Amirillo, Texas with. Each one had a slightly different cut , front and back for different lakes and different water conditions.

Jimmy Gale and I were friends. Who influenced who on these props, I do not remember. Maybe Don Maher will chime in, he is the model boating historian, for the west coast anyway.

Charles
Hi Charles,

In the Detroit area and most of the clubs in the great lakes area we were IMPBA clubs back then and of course because of the close prox. to Illinois we ran Octura props. At that time mainly the 2.0 series, although I never ran a stock one and I cut and twisted a ton of them, which didn't put me in any good graces with Tom Prezinka (sp) at Octura. Once in a while we'd see Jim Gales JG wheels and I did balance a few. Some of the early ones were quite heavy and most that I did were in the smaller sizes. We didn't talk to NAMBA people! So I had never heard of the texas cuts that you were using. I always said try anything to see if it works! It was so much easier to work on model boat props instead of full sized props that I had done when racing big boat. In those days most of the propexperience was from the tether boat arena and after a lot of experimenting most people discovered that not much transferred to R/C.

John

Wow! Good to hear from you John.

How 'bout Ron Logghe, ever hear from him?
I used to use your props too and Logghe Fuel looong time ago! Great seeing some now old guys getting interested again.
Hi Bill,

A lot of water has gone up the roostertail over the years and I apologize for not remembering everyone, we (wife, 3 daughters & I) spoke with so many people over the years doing props it is difficult to hold onto all of them. I do remember the great IMPBA Nationals in Huntsville, mayber87 or 88? Great time! Are you still using the same race site?

John

View attachment 33977Here are a few "Texas Cuts" that came from Los Angeles in the late 70's. One is an I-25X, one other is another JG prop, that I cannot identify and the other three are Octura 1750's. The 1750 props are the ones that we won the District 19 championship, the District 9/19 challenge race and the NAMBA Nationals in 1981 in Amirillo, Texas with. Each one had a slightly different cut , front and back for different lakes and different water conditions.

Charles
I was talking to Bobby Tom last night and I mentioned this thread to him.......He said the first time he heard of the "texas" cut was when the JG-E20T hit the market.....

When it comes to 3.5 outboard racing Monohan & Hazlewood would be another great source for historical info......everybody else who would remember this is on the other side of the grass... :(

I find it amazing the old adage of what goes around,comes around has reared its ugly head once again......

Who would of "thunked" it that the term "Texas" cuts would be back in the news 40+ years later.....

Rod Geraghty

Charles
Hi Charles,

In the Detroit area and most of the clubs in the great lakes area we were IMPBA clubs back then and of course because of the close prox. to Illinois we ran Octura props. At that time mainly the 2.0 series, although I never ran a stock one and I cut and twisted a ton of them, which didn't put me in any good graces with Tom Prezinka (sp) at Octura. Once in a while we'd see Jim Gales JG wheels and I did balance a few. Some of the early ones were quite heavy and most that I did were in the smaller sizes. We didn't talk to NAMBA people! So I had never heard of the texas cuts that you were using. I always said try anything to see if it works! It was so much easier to work on model boat props instead of full sized props that I had done when racing big boat. In those days most of the propexperience was from the tether boat arena and after a lot of experimenting most people discovered that not much transferred to R/C.

John
John, no offense meant. Just rambling in my old age. Isn't it amazing how great minds think alike though :) :) :) .

Charles

Charles
I was talking to Bobby Tom last night and I mentioned this thread to him.......He said the first time he heard of the "texas" cut was when the JG-E20T hit the market.....

When it comes to 3.5 outboard racing Monohan & Hazlewood would be another great source for historical info......everybody else who would remember this is on the other side of the grass... :(

I find it amazing the old adage of what goes around,comes around has reared its ugly head once again......

Who would of "thunked" it that the term "Texas" cuts would be back in the news 40+ years later.....

Rod Geraghty
Hey Charles,

Tell Bobby I said hi! We used to talk shop at Toledo every year when he was in the K& B booth.

John

Charles

Rod Geraghty
Hey Charles,

Tell Bobby I said hi! We used to talk shop at Toledo every year when he was in the K& B booth.

John
Sorry Rod, typed to fast and said Charles.

Charles
Hi Charles,

John
John, no offense meant. Just rambling in my old age. Isn't it amazing how great minds think alike though :) :) :) .

Charles
Hi Charles,

I hope I didn't come off sharp, and I certainly felt no offense. In those days there was no internet, e-mail, so any news always spread alot slower. It is really nice to see the growth in the hobby and it doesn't matter to me what rules body it is under or what happened when or where. A plus is that there are enough of us "Old Dogs" left to talk about it much less do it on line!

John

Charles
Hi Charles,

John

Charles

If you two would like to take a long 'for old times sake" walk in the moonlight ,I would be more than happy to send you

this two pound bag of JG's for a bend and cut party...... :D :D :D

John,I for sure will pass on your greeting to Bobby.....He is living in Havasu City in a retirement village and is doing pretty well considering.......

Bobby went through a very rough period with his health a couple of years ago but has come a long way back and is beginning to enjoy life again....

Charles

Rod Geraghty
Hey Charles,

John
Sorry Rod, typed to fast and said Charles.
Not a problem,I knew what you meant..... :D :D

Rod, thanks for the offer but I still have quiet a large collection of J G props myself. At the time there wasn't a large selection of props to chose from and you had to make the best of what you had.

Walk in the moonlight, no. Maybe bend a few elbows though.

Want to join us???

Charles

texas cut,,,

how is this done??

different ways to go about a texas cut??

gains from a cut like this???...

pictures would be great...i remember a thread on this style cut a while back,,,so lets bring that back fellas....

alden
Hi Alden,

The "Texas Cuts" that were done by "Beardslee's Prop Service" back in the days just before Christ left Chicago were done this way. They were done almost exclusively to Octura X series props. The tips were rounded off, then from the tip down to the leading edge was straightened instead of the stock curved edge. Daaaa it is difficult to put in to words - a pic is worth - you know. I promise to take pics when I get back north in April and will show the stock X472 & a Texas Cut one.

John

This topic has turned out to be one of the greatest threads ever....i had very low expectations for this thread as far as replies,, but its turned out phenominal.... To hear the information from people like charles,,rod,,and your self john,,,who have had ties in this hobby longer than ive been alive.... like rod said,, unfortunately most who would know this are on the other side... you fella's paved the road for us younger fella's and as always we are greatful for all the R&D and your insight on your experiences... john,, a picture would be great my friend,, i would love to see a famous beardslee texas cut prop...... i look foward to it....

BTW,,, just curious,, how is it that after so long you found intlwaters??? friends recommendation?? was it this particular topic that brought you back??

As always im so glad to see another rc boating great back into the scene....welcome back my friend...

Alden Cost

I got dibs on all the free JG's going around. LOL- would like a couple tho.

Latest posts

Back